Retired Sep. 1, 1975.
Brigadier General John M. Rose Jr., is commander of Defense Logistics Services Center at Battle Creek, Mich. The center is a primary level field activity of Defense Supply Agency and provides support to Department of Defense components and other federal agencies and, as required, to industry, NATO, and foreign governments in the following areas: cataloging and item intelligence data development and dissemination; arranges and provides for training and indoctrination of NATO member nations and other foreign governments in the development and implementation of codification systems; and furnishes file data and automatic data processing program information.
General Rose was born in Fayetteville, N.C., in 1923. He graduated from Fayetteville High School in 1941 and attended Davidson College, earning his bachelor of arts degree in 1963.
In March 1943 he entered the U.S. Amy Air Corps aviation cadet program and received a commission as second lieutenant and his pilot wings at Marianna, Fla., in January 1944.
During World War II, General Rose first served as an instructor pilot at Marianna, Fla., and then as a fighter pilot at Howard Field, Panama Canal Zone. He left active military service in May 1948 and while attending Davidson College was recalled to active duty in October 1950.
He was assigned to the 156th Fighter Bomber Squadron in December 1950 and went to England where he served as commander of the 512th Tactical Fighter Squadron and later as operations officer with the 406th Fighter Bomber Wing. He returned to the United States in October 1954, attended a jet qualifying course and advanced flying school (Interceptor), then had assignments with the 75th Fighter Interceptor Squadron and the 2d Fighter Interceptor Squadron at Suffolk County Air Force Base, N.Y.
In December 1955 General Rose was assigned as Reserve Training Officer in the 464th Troop Carrier Wing, Pope Air Force Base, N.C. His next assignments were at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, N.C., where from February 1957 to November 1960 he served with the 83d Fighter Day Wing as commander of the wing maintenance squadron and later was chief of maintenance for the 4th Tactical Fighter Wing.
In November 1960 General Rose was transferred to Clark Air Base, Republic of the Philippines, as maintenance control officer and later was chief of maintenance for the 405th Fighter Wing.
He returned to the United States in January 1963 with assignment to the 836th Air Division, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla. He then was selected under Operation Bootstrap to return to Davidson College, N.C., where he completed requirements for his bachelor of arts degree in July of that year. He returned to MacDill and was chief of maintenance for the 15th Tactical Fighter Wing. In August 1965 he entered the Air War College at Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
In July 1966 General Rose was transferred to Thailand where he was assigned as assistant director of materiel for the 388th Tactical Fighter Wing at Korat Royal Thai Air Force Base.
His next assignment was in July 1967 at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, where he became director, electronic warfare for Headquarters Air Force Logistics Command. General Rose was transferred to Tinker Air Force Base, Okla., in August 1970 as director of materiel management, Oklahoma City Air Material Area, and in June 1972 became vice commander.
In July 1973 General Rose assumed command of the Defense Logistics Services Center at Battle Creek, Mich.
His military decorations and awards include the Legion of Merit, Bronze Star Medal, Meritorious Service Medal, Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster, Air Force Outstanding Unit Award Ribbon, and the Presidential Unit Citation Emblem. He is a command pilot.
He was promoted to the grade of brigadier general effective Aug. 1, 1972, with date of rank July 27, 1972.