Retired July 1, 1991.
Brigadier General John R. Harty is deputy chief of staff for engineering and services, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein Air Base, West Germany.
General Harty was born in 1938, in Grand Forks, N.D., where he graduated from Central High School in 1956 and received a bachelor of science degree in civil engineering from the University of North Dakota in 1960. He earned a master of science degree in 1962 and a doctor of philosophy degree with a major in civil engineering in 1971, both from the University of Illinois, Urbana. He completed Armed Forces Staff College in 1972, Industrial College of the Armed Forces in 1975 and the Air War College in 1978.
The general received his commission as a distinguished graduate of the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program in August 1960. After completing his master's degree in February 1962 under the auspices of the Air Force Institute of Technology, General Harty become a facility systems engineer, Aeronautical Systems Division, Directorate of Civil Engineering, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. He transferred to the 748th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron, Kotzebue Air Force Base, Alaska, in May 1963, as site civil engineering officer.
In May 1964 he was assigned as assistant chief, Construction Division, and later chief, Engineering and Design Division, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff, Civil Engineering, Headquarters U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo. In June 1968 he returned to the University of Illinois and completed his doctorate in January 1971. The general was then assigned to the 1964th Communications Squadron, Tan Son Nhut Air Base, Republic of Vietnam, as director of the Civil Engineering Division. He returned to the United States to attend the Armed Forces Staff College at Norfolk, Va., and upon completion in July 1972, was assigned to the Air Force Civil Engineering Center, Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla., as director of laboratories. General Harty served as base civil engineer and commander of the 354th Civil Engineering Squadron, Myrtle Beach Air Force Base, S.C., from July 1975 to August 1977.
After completing the Air War College in June 1978, the general was assigned as director of operations and maintenance, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff, Engineering and Services, Headquarters Military Airlift Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill. During this tour of duty General Harty served as a member of the special civil engineering team that assessed the feasibility and developed the construction and site activation plan for two air bases required to be built in the Negev desert region of Israel under the Camp David accords. From October 1978 to July 1979 he spent approximately six months on temporary duty in Israel and Washington, D.C., in support of this program. In August 1980 he was assigned as deputy program manager and Air Force regional civil engineer for the Israeli Airbase Program, Department of Defense Joint Activity, Tel Aviv, Israel. In January 1982 he returned to the United States and Military Airlift Command headquarters as assistant deputy chief of staff for engineering and services. In March 1984 he became deputy chief of staff. He assumed his present position in June 1986.
His military decorations and awards include the Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster, Bronze Star Medal, Defense Meritorious Service Medal, Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster and Air Force Commendation Medal.
He was promoted to brigadier general July 1, 1986, with same date of rank.