Retired Dec. 1, 1972. Died Sep. 30, 1986.
Brigadier General John S. Chandler is assistant deputy chief of staff, systems, Air Force Systems Command, Andrews Air Force Base, Md., with additional duty as assistant for Southeast Asia.
General Chandler was born in Roundup, Mont., in 1916, where he attended elementary and high school. He attended Cleary College, Ypsilanti, Mich., for one year and the University of Montana for one year. He worked three years for the Montana Highway Department and the Bureau of Public Roads, and then entered the U.S. Military Academy, West Point, N.Y., from which he graduated in June 1943. He completed flying school in December 1943.
He was assigned to the Fifteenth Air Force in the Mediterranean Theater of Operations, in January 1944, and served with the 456th Bombardment Group, first as operations officer for the 747th Squadron and later as commander of the 745th Squadron.
In September 1945 he returned to the United States and served a short tour of duty as administrative officer of the 211th Army Air Forces Base Unit, Sioux Falls, S.D., and later as administrative officer of the 439th Troop Carrier Group, Sedalia, Mo. From April 1946 to May 1946, he was commander of the 94th Troop Carrier Squadron, at Sedalia.
From June 1946 to June 1947, General Chandler attended Carnegie Institute of Technology from which he received a bachelor of science degree in electrical engineering. In July 1947 he was assigned as an operations officer to the Communication-Electronics Directorate, Headquarters Strategic Air Command, at Andrews Air Force Base, Md., and later at Offutt Air Force Base, Neb. He entered the University of Michigan Graduate Engineering School in April 1950 and received master of science degrees in electronics and instrumentation in September 1952.
In October 1952 General Chandler was assigned to the Weapons Systems Division at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, where he served as a weapons systems project officer and in April 1954 became Chief of the Bomarc missile office. From August 1955 to July 1956 he attended the Air Command and Staff School at Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
General Chandler next was assigned to Ballistic Missile Division, Inglewood, Calif. During his seven years with the division, he served three years as chief of the Titan Airborne Systems; three years as deputy program director of the Minuteman; and a year as special deputy director for site activation for the Atlas. He then attended the executive development program (management) at Stanford University Graduate School of business administration.
In September 1963 General Chandler was assigned to Headquarters Air Force Systems Command at Andrews Air Force Base, Md., as special assistant to the commander, and in December 1963 he was named director of Systems Policy and Management, Deputy Chief of Staff for Systems. In January 1965 he was assigned to the Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force (Research and Development) to serve in the Manned Orbiting Laboratory program. From September 1965 to August 1966, he served as commander of the 1001st Air Base Wing at Andrews Air Force Base.
He assumed duties in September 1966 as assistant deputy for the F-111, Aeronautical Systems Division at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, and was named system program director for the F-111 program at the same base in November 1968.
General Chandler was assigned in October 1969 as assistant deputy chief of staff, systems, Air Force Systems Command, Andrews Air Force Base, Md., with additional duty as assistant for Southeast Asia.
His military decorations include the Legion of Merit, Distinguished Flying Cross with oak leaf cluster and Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters.