Retired Sep. 1, 1998.
Brigadier General John S. "Steve" Boone is director of plans, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo. He is responsible for overseeing planning for the command's force structure, bases and facilities; for managing the command's manpower, international relations and foreign disclosure programs; and for programming and advocating resources for the entire space community.
The general entered the Air Force in 1970 after completion of the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program. He has served in a variety of assignments, including combat crew evaluator with the 3901st Strategic Missile Evaluation Squadron, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif., and plans staff officer at Offutt Air Force Base, Neb., working program development for all strategic defense, command, control and communications and space systems managed by Strategic Air Command. In 1983 General Boone was assigned to the newly formed Air Force Space Command creating the command board structure. While there, he performed various tasks in the plans directorate. In 1987 he assumed command of Detachment 1, 1000th Satellite Operations Group (later designated 5th Satellite Squadron) at Fairchild Air Force Base, Wash., where he was responsible for the primary node of the Defense Meteorological Satellite Program.
In 1990 the general was assigned to Peterson Air Force Base and served successively as director of space operations, Air Force Space Command headquarters; vice commander of 1st Space Wing; commander of the 21st Support Group; and vice director of plans, United States Space Command. In 1995 he was assigned as vice commander, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles Air Force Base, Calif.
1968 Bachelor of science degree in zoology and chemistry, University of Arizona, Tucson
1974 Master of arts degree in public administration, University of Northern Colorado, Greeley
1976 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1983 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1987 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1. August 1970 - June 1975, crew commander, Titan II intercontinental ballistic missile weapon system, 390th Strategic Missile Wing, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
2. June 1975 - September 1979, combat crew evaluator, 3901st Strategic Missile Evaluation Squadron, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.
3. September 1979 - January 1983, plans staff officer, Headquarters Strategic Air Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb.
4. January 1983 - July 1987, chief of program objective memorandum development, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.
5. July 1987 - July 1990, commander, Detachment 1, 1000th Satellite Operations Group (later designated 5th Satellite Control Squadron), Fairchild Air Force Base, Washington
6. July 1990 - July 1991, director of space operations, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.
7. July 1991 - May 1992, vice commander, 1st Space Wing, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.
8. May 1992 - April 1993, commander, 21st Support Group, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.
9. April 1993 - November 1995, vice director of plans, United States Space Command, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.
10. November 1995 - August 1996, vice commander, Headquarters Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles Air Force Base, Calif.
11. August 1996 - present, director of plans, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Mar 28, 1970
First Lieutenant Mar 28, 1971
Captain Sep 28, 1972
Major Jul 1, 1980
Lieutenant Colonel Feb 1, 1985
Colonel Dec 1, 1990
Brigadier General Sep 1, 1996