Brig. Gen. Johnny A. Weida is Commandant of Cadets and Commander, 34th Training Wing, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo. General Weida commands and administers the 4,000-member cadet wing, and 930 Air Force support people. His responsibilities include cadet military training and airmanship education, supervising cadet life activities, and providing support to facilities and logistics.
General Weida received his commission from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1978, and graduated from pilot training in 1979. His previous assignments have included commander of the 388th Fighter Wing, Hill Air Force Base, Utah, as well as flying as a member of the Thunderbirds U. S. Air Force Aerial Demonstration Team at Nellis AFB, Nev. He also served in staff positions with U.S. Forces Korea and the Air Staff Plans and Programs Directorate.
General Weida is a command pilot with more than 4,000 flying hours. Prior to assuming his present position, General Weida was the commander of the Squadron Officer College of the Air University at Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1978 Bachelor of science degree in economics and management, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
1983 Squadron Officer School, in residence, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1985 Air Command and Staff College by correspondence
1987 Masters degree in public administration, Golden Gate University, Calif.
1993 Masters degree in national security and strategic studies, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
2001 National Security Management Course, Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, University of Syracuse, N.Y.
1. July 1978 - May 1980, student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, 82nd Student Squadron, Williams AFB, Ariz.
2. May 1980 - March 1982, instructor pilot, 96th Flying Training Squadron, Williams AFB, Ariz.
3. March - July 1983, T-37 instructor pilot and flight examiner, 82nd Flying Training Wing, Williams AFB, Ariz.
4. July 1983 - March 1984, student, F-16 replacement training unit, 56th Flying Training Wing, MacDill AFB, Fla.
5. March 1984 - March 1985, F-16 pilot, 35th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Kunsan Air Base, Korea
6. March 1985 - February 1988, F-16 instructor pilot and flight examiner, 33rd Tactical Fighter Squadron, Shaw AFB, S.C.
7. November 1988 - March 1991, Thunderbird pilot and Operations Officer, Nellis AFB, Nev.
8. March 1991 - August 1992, Commander, Cadet Squadron 27, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
9. August 1992 - September 1992, student, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
10. September 1992 - April 1995, Executive Officer to the 9th Air Force Commander, then, Commander, 20th Operations Support Squadron, and Chief of Standardization and Evaluation, 20th Operations Group, Shaw AFB, S.C.
11. April 1995 - May 1997, Commander, 12th Operations Group, Randolph AFB, Texas
12. May 1997 - August 1999, Deputy Assistant Chief of Staff, J3, U.S. Forces Korea, Yongsan Army Garrison, Korea
13. August 1999 - January 2000, Chief, Combat Forces Division, Plans and Programs Directorate, Headquarters Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington D.C.
14. January 2000 - July 2001, Commander, 388th Fighter Wing, Hill AFB, Utah
15. July 2001 ? April 2003, Commander, Squadron Officer College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
16. April 2003 ? present, Commandant of Cadets and Commander, 34th Training Wing, USAFA, Colorado Springs, Colo.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 4,000
Aircraft flown: F-16, TG-7A, T-37 and T-43
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with one oak leaf cluster
Distinguished Flying Cross
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 31, 1978
First Lieutenant May 31, 1980
Captain May 31, 1982
Major Dec. 1, 1988
Lieutenant Colonel April 1, 1992
Colonel Oct. 1, 1996
Brigadier General Aug 1, 2003