Died June 10, 1981.
Joseph Henry Davidson was born at Great Falls, Mont., in 1890. He later moved to Port Townsend, Wash., where he graduated from high school in 1909.
He was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Infantry Section of the Officers Reserve Corps May 28, 1917, and was assigned to active duty two months later. On Aug. 15, 1917, he was transferred to the Coast Artillery Reserve, with which he served in France. He was honorably discharged March 11, 1919.
On April 28, 1919, he was appointed a second lieutenant in the Aviation Section Reserve. He received his regular commission as a second lieutenant in the Air Service July 1, 1920, and was promoted to captain the same date.
He graduated from the Air Service Observation School in 1921, and 1922 graduated from the Air Service Primary and Advanced Flying Schools and was rated a pilot.
During the following 16 years he held the usual peacetime assignments then afforded an Air Corps officer, including duty as an instructor, squadron and group commander, and technical inspector, and graduated from the Air Corps Tactical School (1936) and the Command and General Staff School (1937).
In July 1938, he became an air observer with the Second Army at Chicago, Ill. He was appointed executive officer at March Field Calif., in August 1940, and in November 1941 assumed command of March Field.
In October 1943 he was assigned to Army Air Force headquarters in Washington, D.C., for work on a special project, and a month later assumed command of the 80th Fighter Wing at San Marcos, Texas. In February 1944, he became commander of the 33rd Fighter Wing at Blackland Army Field, Waco, Texas, and the following June was named commanding officer of the 32nd Fighter Wing at Perrin Field, Texas. He assumed command of Sheppard Field, Texas in August 1944.
Four months later he became commander of Chanute Field, Ill. During April 1946, he served as deputy commander of Chanute Field and the following month was recruiting officer there.
In June 1946 he went to the Pacific theater to become a member of the Future Plans Section, Army Detachment, on the staff of the commander-in-chief of the Pacific. The following January he assumed additional duty as the Army Air Member of the Joint Secretariat, Joint Pacific Chiefs of Staff. In March 1948 he became commanding officer of the Hawaiian Air Depot, and two months later assumed command of the 6502nd Composite Wing at Hickam Field, Hawaii.
He returned to the United States in November 1948, and two months later assumed command of the First Fighter Wing at March Air Force Base, Calif. He was appointed assistant to the vice chief of the Fourth Air Force at Hamilton Air Force Base, Calif., in June 1949 and a month later became chief of staff and vice commander of the Fourth Air Force.
General Davidson has been awarded the Army Commendation Ribbon with two oak leaf clusters. He is rated a command pilot, combat observer and technical observer.