Brig. Gen. Katherine E. Roberts is Principal Director for Forces Policy, Office of the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Forces Policy, Washington, D.C. She is responsible for policy development and recommendations for senior Department of Defense officials concerning space, missile defense, offensive and defensive strategic capabilities as part of the new triad, and warfare based on new technologies.
General Roberts entered the Air Force in 1977 through the ROTC program at Indiana University where she was a distinguished graduate. Her assignments include space operations, acquisition of space systems and staff work. She was a manned space flight engineer, the program manager of a major acquisition program, and has served on the staffs at major command and unified command headquarters, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Space, and the Joint Staff. She served as the Vice Director of Operations at U.S. Space Command and the Vice Director for Space Operations at the new U.S. Strategic Command for the run-up and execution of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Prior to assuming her current position, General Roberts was Commander, Command and Control, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Systems Wing at Hanscom Air Force Base, Mass.
1977 Distinguished graduate, Bachelor of Arts degree in physics, Indiana University
1978 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1981 Master of Science degree in space technology, Johns Hopkins University, Md.
1983 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1991 Program Management Course, Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va.
1995 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. January 1977 ? August 1979, orbital analyst, Space Defense Center, Cheyenne Mountain Operations Center, Colo.
2. August 1979 ? January 1982, trajectory orbital research analyst and Chief, Tracking Analysis Work Center, National Security Agency, Fort George G. Meade, Md.
3. January 1982 ? April 1983, Chief, Data Recorder Division, Office of Special Projects, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
4. May 1983 ? April 1986, manned spaceflight engineer, Space Division, Air Force Systems Command, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
5. April 1986 ? October 1987, Chief, Spacecraft Integration and Flight Operations Division, Office of Special Projects, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
6. October 1987 ? August 1988, Director, Spacecraft Division, Space and Missile Systems Division, Buckley Air National Guard Base, Colo.
7. September 1988 ? May 1992, Deputy Director, Space Systems Integration, Office of Special Projects, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
8. May 1992 ? February 1994, Chief, Space System Division, Defense Landsat Program Office, Office of Special Projects, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
9. February 1994 ? August 1994, military assistant to the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Space, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
10. August 1994 ? June 1995, student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. June 1995 ? November 1997, operations officer, Operations Division, Deputy Directorate for Information Operations (J-3), the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
12. November 1997 ? May 2000, Program Manager, Space Based Infrared System-Low Component, Space Based Infrared System Program Office, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
13. May 2000 ? October 2001, Chief, Space Control Division, Directorate of Requirements, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
14. October 2001 ? September 2002, Deputy Director of Requirements, Headquarters AFSPC, Peterson AFB, Colo
15. October 2002 ? July 2003, Vice Director of Space Operations, U.S. Strategic Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
16. July 2003 ? August 2004, Deputy Commander for Command, Control, Communications, Computers, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Enterprise Integration, and the System Program Director for the Command and Control Constellation, Electronic Systems Center, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
17. August 2004 ? January 2005, Director, later, Commander, Command and Control, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Systems Wing, ESC, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
18. January 2005 ? present, Principal Director for Forces Policy, Office of the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Forces Policy, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jan. 15, 1977
First Lieutenant Jan. 15, 1979
Captain Jan. 15, 1981
Major April 1, 1988
Lieutenant Colonel April 1,1992
Colonel Dec. 1, 1997
Brigadier General July 1, 2004