Selected for reassignment as Commander, 314th Airlift Wing, Little Rock Air Force Base, Ark.
Brig. Gen. Kip L. Self is Deputy Director of Operations, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill. He oversees 15 divisions and eight operating locations producing policy, procedures, and lead command guidance to sustain and improve AMC, Mobility Air Forces, Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve Command readiness for America's Global Reach mission. The general guides and advises 500 personnel and senior leadership in modernizing, integrating and standardizing operational capabilities supporting national strategy.
General Self is a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy, earning a Bachelor of Science degree in psychology and management. He has held a variety of flying assignments as a helicopter and C-141 instructor pilot. The general?s staff assignments include political-military planner on the Joint Staff, and country director in the Office of the Secretary of Defense. He has commanded the 16th Airlift Squadron at Charleston AFB, S.C., and the 621st Air Mobility Operations Group at McGuire AFB, N.J.
General Self served as special operations mission commander in support for Operation Joint Endeavor, and he deployed as Director of Mobility Forces in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. During Operation Iraqi Freedom, he was Commander of Expeditionary Air Forces at Kuwait City. General Self is a command pilot with more than 4,000 hours in UH-1, T-38, C-141B and C-17 aircraft.
1978 Bachelor of Science degree in psychology and management, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1982 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1982 Master of Science degree in systems management, University of Southern California
1982 Marine Corps Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1985 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1997 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. November 1978 - November 1979, student, undergraduate helicopter training, Fort Rucker, Ala.
2. November 1979 - March 1983, helicopter flight examiner, 475th Air Base Wing, Yokota Air Base, Japan
3. March 1983 - September 1984, helicopter instructor pilot, 1st Helicopter Squadron, Andrews AFB, Md.
4. September 1984 - August 1986, Air Staff Training officer, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
5. August 1986 - June 1989, C-141 instructor pilot and airlift operations director, 8th Military Airlift Squadron and 62nd Military Airlift Wing, McChord AFB, Wash.
6. June 1989 - July 1992, Chief of Rated Officer Assignments, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
7. August 1992 - June 1993, assistant executive officer to the Commander, Headquarters AMC, Scott AFB, Ill.
8. June 1993 - February 1996, Commander, 16th Airlift Squadron, Charleston AFB, S.C.
9. March 1996 - August 1996, Deputy Commander, 437th Operations Group, Charleston AFB, S.C.
10. August 1996 - June 1997, student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. June 1997 - August 1998, political-military planner, Western Hemisphere, the Joint Staff, Washington, D.C.
12. August 1998 - June 2000, country director for United Kingdom, Canada and Ireland, Office of Secretary of Defense, Washington, D.C.
13. June 2000 - June 2002, Commander, 621st Air Mobility Operations Group, McGuire AFB, N.J.
14. June 2002 - July 2003, special assistant to the 21st Air Force Commander for the Global Mobility Task Force, McGuire AFB, N.J.
15. July 2003 - present, Deputy Director of Operations, Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 4,000
Aircraft flown: UH-1, T-38, C-141B and C-17
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with three oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with bronze star
Southwest Asia Service Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Government of Kuwait)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 31, 1978
First Lieutenant May 31, 1980
Captain May 31, 1982
Major March 1, 1989
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 1994
Colonel May 1, 1999
Brigadier General Feb. 1, 2005