Brig. Gen. Kurt A. Cichowski is Commander, 49th Fighter Wing, Holloman Air Force Base, N.M. The wing supports national security objectives with mission-ready F-117A stealth fighters, an air transportable clinic and bare base assets. In addition, the wing deploys worldwide to support peacetime and wartime contingencies; trains U.S. Air Force aircrews in F-117A and T-38A, and allied aircrews in F-4F fighter transition and weapons instructor courses; and provides support to more than 18,000 personnel, to include German Air Force Tornado operations.
General Cichowski graduated with a bachelor of science degree in engineering sciences and received his commission from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1977. The general completed a master's degree in business administration and management in 1982 from the University of Northern Colorado, and earned a master of airpower art and science degree in 1995 from Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala. Commanding at the group, wing, and field operating agency levels, he is a command pilot with more than 3,200 flying hours in the T/AT-38, F-4D/E, F-16C/D, F-117A and KC-10.
1977 Bachelor's degree in engineering sciences, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1981 Distinguished graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1982 Master's degree in business administration and management, University of Northern Colorado, Greeley
1990 Distinguished graduate, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1992 School of Advanced Airpower Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1993 Air War College, by seminar
1993 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1995 Master of airpower art and science degree, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1998 National Defense Fellow, The Brookings Institution, Washington D.C.
1. June 1977 - July 1978, student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Williams AFB, Ariz.
2. January 1979 - May 1982, T-38 instructor pilot, scheduler, and student check pilot, 97th Flying Training Squadron, Williams AFB, Ariz.
3. May 1982 - July 1982, student, Fighter Lead-in Training, Holloman AFB, N.M.
4. July 1982 - April 1983, student, F-4 Upgrade Training, 308th Tactical Flying Training Squadron, Homestead AFB, Fla.
5. May 1983 - December 1984, squadron training officer and assistant flight commander, 512th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Ramstein Air Base, West Germany
6. January 1985 - June 1986, fighter liaison officer, Detachment 2, 601st Air Support Operations Group, Sembach AB, West Germany
7. June 1986 - October 1986, student, F-16 Upgrade Training, 312th Tactical Flying Training Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
8. October 1986 - November 1988, F-16 instructor pilot and flight commander, 512th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Ramstein Air Base, West Germany
9. November 1988 - June 1989, training officer, 86th Tactical Fighter Group, Ramstein AB, West Germany
10. June 1989 - June 1990, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. June 1990 - June 1991, faculty instructor, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
12. August 1991 - June 1992, student, School of Advanced Airpower Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
13. June 1992 - June 1994, air liaison officer, Joint Special Operations Command, Fort Bragg, N.C.
14. June 1994 - March 1995, F-117A pilot, 49th Operations Group, Holloman AFB, N.M.
15. March 1995 - August 1995, Deputy Commander, 49th Operations Group, Holloman AFB, N.M.
16. August 1995 - July 1997, Commander, 49th Operations Group, Holloman AFB, N.M.
17. September 1997 - June 1998, Air Force National Defense Fellow, The Brookings Institution, Washington, D.C.
18. June 1998 - May 1999, Commander, Air Force Studies and Analyses Agency, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
19. May 1999 - July 2001, Commander, 80th Flying Training Wing, Sheppard AFB, Texas
20. July 2001 - September 2003, Vice Commander, 21st Air Force, McGuire AFB, N.J.
21. September 2003 - May 2004, Commander, 21st Expeditionary Mobility Task Force, McGuire AFB, N.J.
22. May 2004 - present, Commander, 49th Fighter Wing, Holloman AFB, N.M.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,200
Aircraft flown: T/AT-38, F-4D/E, F-16C/D, F-117A and KC-10
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 1, 1977
First Lieutenant June 1, 1979
Captain June 1, 1981
Major May 1, 1988
Lieutenant Colonel April 1, 1992
Colonel Oct. 1, 1996
Brigadier General Nov. 1, 2002