Selected for reassignment as Director, Signals Intelligence Systems Acquisition and Operations, National Reconnaissance Office, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Space, Chantilly, Va.
Brig. Gen. Larry D. James is Vice Commander, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles Air Force Base, Calif. He is responsible for assisting the commander in the research, design, development and acquisition of space launch, command and control, and satellite systems. The Space and Missile Systems Center is the nation's center of technical expertise for military space acquisition, with an annual obligation authority exceeding $8 billion and with more than 3,200 employees nationwide.
General James entered the Air Force as a distinguished graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1978. His career has spanned a wide variety of space operations and acquisition assignments, including space shuttle payload specialist, Air Staff program element monitor, Global Positioning System satellite program manager and Chief of Operations, 14th Air Force.
General James has commanded the 45th Spacecraft Operations Squadron, 5th Space Launch Squadron, 614th Space Operations Group and 50th Space Wing. He has served on the staffs of Headquarters U.S. Air Force, U.S. Space Command and Air Force Space Command. He also served as the Senior Space Officer for Operation Iraqi Freedom at Prince Sultan Air Base, Saudi Arabia. Prior to his current assignment, the general was Assistant Director of Air and Space Operations, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
1978 Distinguished graduate, Bachelor of Science degree in astronautical engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1983 Master of Science degree in astronautical engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge
1984 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1988 Program Managers Course, Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va.
1989 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1993 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1997 Joint Professional Military Education Phase II, Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2002 National Security Management Fellowship, Syracuse University, N.Y.
1. July 1978 - August 1981, project officer, Advanced Space Guidance Systems, Directorate of Technology, Space and Missile Systems Organization, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
2. August 1981 - January 1983, student, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge
3. January 1983 - December 1987, space shuttle payload specialist and Chief, Global Positioning System Space Systems Division, Headquarters Space and Missile Center, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
4. January 1988 - July 1988, student, Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va.
5. August 1988 - July 1989, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
6. August 1989 - June 1991, program element monitor, Global Positioning System, Directorate of Space Programs, Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
7. June 1991 - July 1992, executive officer to Director, Space Programs, Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
8. August 1992 - July 1993, student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. September 1993 - July 1994, Commander, 45th Spacecraft Operations Squadron, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla.
10. July 1994 - July 1995, Commander, 5th Space Launch Squadron, Cape Canaveral AFS, Fla.
11. July 1995 - January 1996, Deputy Commander, 45th Operations Group, Patrick AFB, Fla.
12. January 1996 - May 1997, Deputy Chief, Space Control Mission Team, Air Force Space Command, later, Chief, Requirements and Programs Branch, Integration Division, U.S. Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
13. May 1997 - August 1998, Chief, Integration Division, Directorate of Plans, U.S. Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
14. August 1998 - June 2000, Commander, 614th Space Operations Group, and Chief of Operations, 14th Air Force, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
15. June 2000 - April 2001, executive officer to Commander, North American Aerospace Defense Command, Commander, U.S. Space Command and Commander, AFSPC, Peterson AFB, Colo.
16. April 2001 - June 2003, Commander, 50th Space Wing, Schriever AFB, Colo.
17. June 2003 - July 2004, Assistant Director of Air and Space Operations, Headquarters AFSPC, Peterson AFB, Colo.
18. July 2004 - present, Vice Commander, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Top third graduate, Air Command and Staff College
Top 10 percent graduate, Air War College
National Finalist, White House Fellow Program
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 31, 1978
First Lieutenant May 31, 1980
Captain May 31, 1982
Major April 1, 1988
Lieutenant Colonel April 1, 1992
Colonel Dec. 1, 1997
Brigadier General Feb. 1, 2004