Retired Feb. 1, 1970.
Brigadier General Leo Paul Geary is defense attache to Pakistan at the American Embassy, Rawalpindi. As defense attache he is the representative of the secretary of defense in Pakistan.
General Geary was born in Boston, Mass., in 1917. He attended Tufts College, Mass., and graduated in 1940 with a bachelor of science degree in chemistry. He enlisted as an aviation cadet in April 1941 and was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Army Air Corps in December 1941.
After receiving his commission he received further flight training with the 52d Pursuit Group at Selfridge Field, Mich., and bombardment squadrons at El Paso, Texas and Topeka, Kan., from December 1941 to March 1943.
From March 1943 to May 1954, General Geary had many varied assignments, including overseas duty during World War II as B-24 pilot with the 449th Bombardment Group, Italy, and chief, A-1 Division, Air Force Section of Joint U.S. Military Advisory Group, Greece, and later deputy commander, 1191st Squadron, Greece.
In May 1954 General Geary was assigned to deputy chief of staff, operations, Directorate of Plans, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, where he served as intelligence staff officer, Special Projects Branch, Psychological Warfare Division; and chief, Special Activity Branch, Subsidiary Plans Division. From June 1955 to September 1965, he was assigned as special staff officer and special assistant to the inspector general for special projects, Office of the Inspector General, U.S. Air Force. He was also program director for SR-71/YF-12A programs, Office of the Inspector General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force. From September 1965 to June 1966, he was assigned as assistant for reconnaissance, Deputy Chief of Staff, Research and Development, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, in addition to his SR-71/YF12A duties.
In July 1966 General Geary was reassigned to Kelly Air Force Base, Texas, as deputy commander, San Antonio Air Materiel Area. (Air Force Logistics Command). He remained in that position until his reassignment as defense attache, Pakistan, in September 1967.