Retired Feb. 1, 1975.
Brigadier General Leslie J. Campbell Jr., is director, J-5, U.S. Southern Command, with headquarters at Quarry Heights, Canal Zone.
General Campbell was born in Great Bend, Kan., in 1922, where he graduated from Great Bend High School in 1940. He received a bachelor of arts degree in business administration from the University of Maryland, 1966, and a master's degree in international affairs from The George Washington University, Washington, D.C., 1967. He graduated from the Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., in July 1959, and the National War College in Washington, D.C., in July 1967.
General Campbell enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Corps in 1942 and entered aviation cadet training in 1943. He received his commission as a second lieutenant in November 1944 upon completion of pilot training at Yuma Army Air Field, Ariz.
In December 1944 General Campbell entered B-17 combat crew training at Alexandria Army Air Field, La. Upon completion of this school, he was assigned as a B-17 instructor until the deactivation of the training unit in May 1945. Following the cessation of hostilities in Europe and Japan, he performed a variety of operational assignments and in January 1946 requested separation from active duty.
General Campbell accepted a regular appointment in the U.S. Army Air Forces in February 1947 and was assigned to the 47th Bombardment Wing at Biggs Field, Texas, where he served as a B-26 instructor pilot and wing training officer. In September 1948 he was transferred to the 23d Fighter Wing on Northwest Field, Guam, where he served as deputy wing operations and training officer. He moved with the organization to Howard Air Force Base, Canal Zone, in that capacity in April 1949. Upon the deactivation of the 23d Fighter Wing in November 1949, he returned to the continental United States for an assignment at Vance Air Force Base, Okla., serving as a B-25 instructor pilot and wing safety officer in the 3575th Pilot Training Wing. In June 1951 he was transferred to Headquarters Air Training Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill., as assistant chief, accident analysis, deputy chief of staff, operations.
In October 1951 General Campbell was assigned to the newly organized B-47 Flight Test Division, Project WIBAC, at the Boeing Airplane plant facility, Wichita, Kan., as project test pilot. Upon completion of the test program, General Campbell was assigned to the Wichita (later McConnell) Air Force Base where he was a B-47 and T-33 instructor pilot, squadron commander, wing safety officer, and wing accident investigation officer for the 3520th Flying Training Wing.
General Campbell was transferred to Barksdale Air Force Base, La., in September 1955, serving as aide to Major General George W. Mundy, commander, Second Air Force, of the Strategic Air Command. Concurrent with this assignment, General Campbell served as B-47 instructor pilot for the 376th and the 301st Bombardment wings. He participated in the development of Project REFLEX, a program which substantially reduced Strategic Air Command's oversea rotational commitments for aircrews.
In July 1959 General Campbell was assigned to the B-58 Test and Evaluation Group at Carswell Air Force Base, Texas.
General Campbell was assigned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force in November 1959 where he served with the Bomber Branch of the Flight Evaluation and Standardization Board in the office of the Director of Operations.
From July 1961 until August 1966, he served as executive officer and executive assistant to the director of legislative liaison, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force.
In July 1967 General Campbell was assigned to the 64th Tactical Airlift Wing at Sewart Air Force Base, Tenn., as assistant director of operations, became director of operations in November 1967, and in March 1968 assumed duties as vice commander of the wing.
General Campbell, as commander of the 315th Tactical Airlift Wing at Phan Rang Air Base, Republic of Vietnam, from May 1969 to July 1970, was responsible for providing aerial resupply for United States and Allied forces operating in the Republic of Vietnam.
In July 1970 General Campbell became deputy director of personnel training and education in the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff, Personnel, Headquarters U.S. Air Force. In January 1971 he became executive officer to the deputy chief of staff, personnel.
In May 1972 General Campbell was assigned as Director, J-5, U.S. Southern Command with headquarters at Quarry Heights, Canal Zone.
His military decorations and awards include the Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster, Distinguished Flying Cross, Meritorious Service Medal, Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters, Air Force Commendation Medal, Army Commendation Medal, and the Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Palm. He is a command pilot with more than 7,000 hours in conventional, single and multijet aircraft.
He was promoted to the grade of brigadier general effective April 1, 1972, with date of rank March 28, 1972.