Retired July 1, 1974.
Brigadier General Lewis S. Norman Jr., is deputy director, programs, Defense Communications Agency, Washington, D.C.
General Norman was born in Vancouver, Wash., in 1923, and graduated from Carmel High School, Carmel, Calif., in 1941. He graduated from the U.S. Military Academy, West Point, N.Y., with a bachelor of science degree in military engineering in 1944, and received a master's degree in electrical engineering from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich., in 1950. He completed pilot training while at the U.S. Military Academy, and was commissioned in the U.S. Army Air Corps in June 1944 and then completed B-17 transition training at Lockbourne Army Air Field, Ohio.
In December 1944 General Norman was assigned as a B-17 instructor pilot at Drew Army Air Field, Fla. From May to August 1945, he was a B-29 student pilot at Maxwell Air Base, Ala., and then became a B-29 combat crew commander with the 329th Bombardment Squadron, Pratt Army Air Field, Kan. From February 1946 to July 1948, he was stationed on Guam in the Mariannas Islands, serving first as a B-29 combat crew commander; later as commander, Headquarters Squadron, 315th Bombardment Wing; and then was selected as aide-de-camp to the commander, Twentieth Air Force.
General Norman entered the University of Michigan in September 1948 under the Air Force Institute of Technology Program; and following completion of graduate studies in August 1950, he was assigned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force as chief, Air Defense Branch, in the Directorate of Communications, Deputy Chief of Staff, Operations. From February 1954 to June 1957, General Norman was stationed in Madrid, Spain, in the Communications Staff Section of the Joint U.S. Military Group, Spain, and then was chief, Air Defense Engineering Division, with the Sixteenth Air Force. From June 1957 to August 1958, he served as commander, 589th Tactical Missile Group, Orlando, Fla. His next assignment was as chief, Missile Branch, Deputy Chief of Staff, Operations, at Headquarters Tactical Air Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
General Norman was assigned in February 1959 to the Western Development Division, Inglewood, Calif., as chief, Communications Division, Advent Satellite Program. From June 1959 to July 1963, he was deputy systems program director and later program director of an important satellite program at the Space Systems Division, the successor of the Air Force Ballistic Missile Division.
In August 1963 General Norman became chief, Special Engineering Division, with the Directorate of Development, Deputy Chief of Staff, Research and Development, at Headquarters U.S. Air Force. From May 1965 to May 1967 he was director, Advanced Technology, with the Manned Orbiting Laboratory Program Office, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force.
He returned to Los Angeles Air Force Station in May 1967, as assistant deputy director and later as director, Laboratory Vehicle, MOL Systems Office. In July 1968 he became vice director, Directorate of Special Projects, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force. He was appointed commander of the Air Force Satellite Control Facility in July 1969.
General Norman became the deputy director for programs, Defense Communications Agency, at Washington, D.C., in June 1971.
He is a senior pilot. His military decorations and awards include the Legion of Merit, Air Medal, Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster, and the Army Commendation Medal.
He was promoted to the temporary grade of brigadier general effective Jan. 1, 1971, with date of rank Jan. 1, 1971.