Brig. Gen. Mark R. Zamzow is the Inspector General, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill. He leads a selectively manned unit which enhances readiness by assessing AMC?s mission capability and ensuring a command-wide environment of customer services, continuous improvement, safety, efficient use of resources, and responsiveness to the needs of AMC?s people and organizations.
General Zamzow was commissioned in 1978 after graduating from the U.S. Air Force Academy. During his 26 years of service, he has commanded an airlift squadron, operations group, airlift wing and air mobility wing. He has deployed as the Director of Mobility Forces for U.S. European Command during Operation Joint Guard in 1997, and for U.S. Central Command during Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom in 2004.
General Zamzow is a command pilot with more than 3,300 flying hours. Prior to his current position, he was Commander, 97th Air Mobility Wing, Altus AFB, Okla.
1978 Bachelor of Science degree in management, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1984 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1984 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1988 Master of Arts degree in management, Webster University, St. Louis, Mo.
1995 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 National Security Senior Leadership Course, Syracuse University, N.Y.
1. May 1978 - September 1979, physical education instructor, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
2. September 1979 - August 1980, student, undergraduate pilot training, Vance Air Force Base, Okla.
3. January 1981 - June 1986, C-130 pilot, aircraft commander, instructor pilot, evaluator pilot and command post duty officer, 774th Tactical Airlift Squadron and 463rd Tactical Airlift Wing, Dyess AFB, Texas.
4. June 1986 - May 1989, command presentations officer, command secretariat executive officer, assistant chief of executive development and Chief of Tactical Airlift Manning, Headquarters Military Airlift Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
5. May 1989 - May 1991, military aide to the Vice President, Office of the Vice President, The White House, Washington D.C.
6. August 1991 - June 1994, squadron assistant operations officer; wing Chief of Combat Operations; squadron operations officer; Commander, 21st Airlift Squadron; Commander, 36th Airlift Squadron; and Deputy Commander, 374th Operations Group, Yokota Air Base, Japan.
7. July 1994 - June 1995, student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. June 1995 - July 1996, Deputy Commander, 437th Operations Group, Charleston AFB, S.C.
9. August 1996 - July 1997, Commander, 437th Operations Group, Charleston AFB, S.C.
10. July 1997 - June 1999, Chief, Global Mobility Division/Panel Chair, Global Mobility Panel, Plans and Programs Directorate, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington D.C.
11. June 1999 - January 2000, Chief, Program Integration Division, Plans and Programs Directorate, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington D.C.
12. January 2000 - October 2001, Commander, 374th Airlift Wing, Yokota Air Base, Japan
13. October 2001 - August 2003, Commander, 97th Air Mobility Wing, Altus AFB, Okla.
14. August 2003 - present, Inspector General, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: 3,320
Aircraft flown: C-130E/H, C-141B, C-17A, C-5A, C-9A, C-21A and KC-135R
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 31, 1978
First Lieutenant May 31, 1980
Captain May 31, 1982
Major Dec. 1, 1988
Lieutenant Colonel April 1, 1992
Colonel Oct. 1, 1996
Brigadier General Aug. 1, 2003