Retired Feb. 1, 1970.
Brigadier General Maurice A. Cristadoro Jr., is assistant deputy chief of staff for development plans at Air Force Systems Command Headquarters, Andrews Air Force Base, Md.
General Cristadoro was born in New Orleans, La., in 1920. He attended New Orleans parochial schools for his early education. He received his bachelor of science degree from Loyola University in New Orleans, and his master of science degree in physical chemistry from Ohio State University. He also has completed Air Command and Staff College and attended the Air University Associate Air War College.
He entered military service in March 1941 as an aviation cadet and received his pilot wings and commission in November 1941. He was assigned to Ellington Field, Texas, as a flying instructor and held the positions of squadron commander, instructor of advanced pilot training and director of flying.
From August 1944 to October 1945, he served in the European Theater of Operations as flight leader and squadron commander of the 55th Fighter Squadron, completing 21 missions in the P-51 aircraft in France, Belgium and Germany.
After his return to the United States and completion of graduate work at Ohio State University, he was assigned, in June 1947, to the Deputy for Operations at the Wright Air Development Center, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, where his last position was as chief of the Special Weapons Branch.
In 1952, General Cristadoro was assigned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force in the Office of the Deputy for Research and Development in the Directorate of Development Planning, where he was engaged in advanced systems planning. From August 1956 to March 1958, he was deputy director for the Atlas weapon system and then served until July 1961 as director of this system, being responsible for all aspects of Atlas systems acquisition.
In July 1961, General Cristadoro was assigned as project director for ballistic missiles in Headquarters Air Force Systems Command, responsible for staff management, coordination and implementation of all matters associated with acquisition of ballistic missile systems for AFSC.
He returned to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in September 1963 as the deputy for Advanced Systems Planning. He was named commander of the Systems Engineering Group in September 1967 and deputy for engineering, Aeronautical Systems Division, in November 1967.
He assumed duties as assistant deputy chief of staff for development plans, Headquarters Air Force Systems Command, in July 1968.
His military decorations include the Legion of Merit and Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters. He is a command pilot and wears the Master Missileman Badge.