Retired Dec. 1, 1996.
Brigadier General Michael A. Moffitt is director of logistics, Air Mobility Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill. He provides policy and guidance to train, equip and organize aircraft maintenance, transportation, supply, contracting, and logistics plans units at 14 major active air installations in the U.S., and 17 en route locations throughout the globe. He is responsible for 650 active aircraft, 13,000 vehicles and 26,000 personnel. He also assists in the readiness of 313 aircraft and 18,000 members of the Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard, providing Total Force augmentation in support of flexible Global Reach for America.
The general has five years experience as an aircraft maintenance officer in both fighters and airlifters. He spent another five years working mobility programming while assigned to both the Pentagon, Washington, D.C., and Military Airlift Command. He commanded the 436th Airlift Wing, Dover Air Force Base, Del., during the Gulf War, overseeing the major aerial port and airlift base supporting the largest airlift effort in history. His worldwide flying background includes wartime experience in both Southeast and Southwest Asia.
1968 Bachelor of science degree in engineering management, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
1975 Master of arts degree in personnel management, Central Michigan University
1981 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1987 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1. July 1968 - July 1969, student, undergraduate pilot training, Williams Air Force Base, Ariz.
2. August 1969 - October 1972, C-130E pilot, 348th and 773rd Tactical Airlift Squadrons, Dyess Air Force Base, Texas
3. October 1972 - October 1973, C-130E instructor pilot, 7th Airborne Command and Control Squadron, Korat Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand
4. October 1973 - March 1976, squadron commander and maintenance supervisor, 4th Avionics Maintenance Squadron, Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, N.C.
5. March 1976 - December 1976, plans and scheduling officer, 4th Tactical Fighter Wing, Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, N.C.
6. January 1977 - October 1978, C-130E flight commander and flight examiner aircraft commander, 61st Tactical Airlift Squadron, Little Rock Air Force Base, Ark.
7. October 1978 - July 1980, tactics officer, 314th Tactical Airlift Group, Little Rock Air Force Base, Ark.
8. August 1980 - January 1981, student, Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
9. January 1981 - August 1983, air operations staff officer, mobility division, directorate of programs, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
10. August 1983 - June 1985, commander, 313th Consolidated Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Royal Air Force Station Mildenhall, England
11. June 1985 - June 1986, deputy commander, 313th Tactical Airlift Group, Royal Air Force Station Mildenhall, England
12. July 1986 - May 1987, student, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
13. July 1987 - September 1989, deputy director, then director of programming, plans, Headquarters Military Airlift Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
14. September 1989 - August 1992, vice commander, then commander, 436th Airlift Wing, Dover Air Force Base, Del.
15. August 1992 - June 1994, deputy chief of staff, Headquarters Forces Command, Fort McPherson, Ga.
16. June 1994 - present, director of logistics, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,700
Aircraft flown: C-130 and C-5
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Distinguished Flying Cross
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jun 5, 1968
First Lieutenant Dec 5, 1969
Captain Jun 5, 1971
Major Apr 19, 1979
Lieutenant Colonel Mar 1, 1984
Colonel Jul 1, 1988
Brigadier General Jul 1, 1993