Brig. Gen. Michael N. Madrid is Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. He is the principal legal adviser to the AFMC Commander and staff. General Madrid is responsible for all legal services provided to an organization with approximately 108,000 people. He oversees more than 330 attorneys and nearly 200 paralegals at 18 locations. His responsibilities include all Air Force litigation before the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals, currently having a case value approaching $2 billion.
General Madrid, born in Albuquerque, N.M., was commissioned through the Air Force ROTC program in June 1971, and received a delay from active duty to attend law school. In addition to serving as the the commander of the Air Force Legal Services Agency, he has served as a Staff Judge Advocate at wing, air division, numbered air force and major command levels.
1971 Bachelor of arts degree, University of Evansville, Evansville, Ind.
1974 Juris doctorate, California Western School of Law, U.S. International University, San Diego, Calif.
1978 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1983 Master of law degree in government acquisition law, National Law Center, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
1983 Air Command and Staff College, by seminar
1984 National Security Management Course, by correspondence
1. August 1974 - August 1975, Assistant Staff Judge Advocate, Norton AFB, Calif.
2. August 1975 - March 1977, Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, U.S. Southern Air Command, Albrook Air Force Station, Panama
3. March 1977 - July 1979, Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, Norton AFB, Calif.
4. July 1979 - August 1980, Air Force Institute of Technology graduate student, National Law Center, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
5. August 1980 - January 1982, Chief of Contracts and Patents Division, Eastern Space and Missile Center, Patrick AFB, Fla.
6. January 1982 - July 1985, Staff Judge Advocate, Detachment 27 Air Force Plant Representative's Office, General Dynamics Corp., Fort Worth, Texas
7. July 1985 - July 1988, Staff Judge Advocate, Soesterberg Air Base, Netherlands
8. July 1988 - March 1991, Staff Judge Advocate, George AFB, Calif.
9. March 1991 - June 1992, Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, 12th Air Force, U.S. Southern Command Air Forces, Bergstrom AFB, Texas
10. June 1992 - June 1994, Staff Judge Advocate, 13th Air Force, Andersen AFB, Guam
11. June 1994 - July 1997, Staff Judge Advocate, 3rd Air Force, Royal Air Force Mildenhall, England
12. July 1997 - June 1999, Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
13. June 1999 - June 2000, Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Randolph AFB, Texas
14. June 2000 - July 2002, Commander, Air Force Legal Services Agency, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
15. August 2002 - present, Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Recognition Medal
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of Claims
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
California Supreme Court
Michigan Supreme Court
New Mexico Supreme Court
Indiana Supreme Court
1986 and 1987 American Bar Association Public Service Award
1987 Richard S. Schubert Award for fostering outstanding host nation relations, The Netherlands
1998 Stuart R. Reichart Award for outstanding senior attorney of the Air Force
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 13, 1971
First Lieutenant June 9, 1974
Captain Aug. 15, 1974
Major March 1, 1982
Lieutenant Colonel Jan. 1, 1987
Colonel Oct. 1, 1991
Brigadier General Sept. 1, 2002