Retired Feb. 1, 1999.
Brigadier General Olan G. Waldrop Jr. is the staff judge advocate, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. He is responsible for all legal services provided to an organization with more than 100,000 personnel and an annual budget exceeding $30 billion. He oversees more than 300 attorneys and 200 paralegals at 22 locations across the country. His responsibilities include all Air Force litigation before the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals, currently having a case value approaching $2 billion.
The general received his commission through the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program in May 1966, and entered active duty in January 1968 after completing law school. He has served as the staff judge advocate at Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii; Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.; and McConnell Air Force Base, Kan. He has also served as commander of the Air Force Legal Services Agency and as a military judge.
1966 Bachelor of arts degree in pre-law, University of Alabama
1967 Juris doctor degree, University of Alabama
1976 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1978 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1984 National Security Management Course, by correspondence
1987 National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. January 1968 - January 1971, assistant staff judge advocate, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb.
2. February 1971 - July 1974, assistant staff judge advocate, 81st Tactical Fighter Wing, Royal Air Force Bentwaters, England
3. August 1974 - July 1977, military judge, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
4. August 1977 - May 1978, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
5. June 1978 - July 1981, staff judge advocate, 381st Strategic Missile Wing, McConnell Air Force Base, Kan.
6. August 1981- June 1984, legal adviser to the special assistant for ICBM modernization, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
7. July 1984 - July 1986, staff judge advocate, Tactical Fighter Weapons Center, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
8. August 1986 - May 1987, student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
9. June 1987 - May 1991, executive to the judge advocate general, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
10. June 1991- June 1994, staff judge advocate, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii
11. July 1994 - May 1995, commander, Air Force Legal Services Agency, Washington, D.C.
12. May 1995 - present, staff judge advocate, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
U.S. Supreme Court
Supreme Court of Alabama
U.S. Court of Military Appeals
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
First Lieutenant Jan 1, 1968
Captain May 12, 1968
Major Jun 1, 1976
Lieutenant Colonel Sep 1, 1980
Colonel Dec 1, 1985
Brigadier General May 25, 1995