Brig. Gen. P. David Gillett Jr. is Director of Maintenance, Deputy Chief of Staff for Installations and Logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. He is responsible for training, organizing and equipping a work force of more than 225,000 technicians and managers maintaining the $260 billion Global Engagement aerospace weapons system inventory. The Maintenance Directorate develops maintenance policy to ensure the readiness of the single, largest element of manpower supporting Air Force combat forces worldwide, and determines and defends an annual budget of more than $20 billion.
General Gillett was commissioned through the Air Force ROTC in July 1976 at Texas A&M University, College Station, and entered active duty at Chanute Air Force Base, Ill., in March 1977.
General Gillett has served in a variety of maintenance and logistics positions at the squadron, wing, major command and headquarters levels. He commanded an aircraft generation squadron (F-15E) during Operation Desert Storm and was the Deputy Director of Logistics during operations Noble Anvil and Allied Force. During Operation Iraqi Freedom, General Gillett was the Air Force Forces Director of Logistics within the European Command area of responsibility.
1976 Bachelor of Science degree, Texas A&M University, College Station
1980 Master?s degree in business administration, Gonzaga University, Spokane, Wash.
1981 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1985 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1994 Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. March 1977 - September 1977, student, Aircraft Maintenance Officer?s Course, Chanute AFB, Ill.
2. September 1977 - May 1980, tanker maintenance officer-in-charge, later, assistance maintenance supervisor, 92nd Bombardment Wing, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
3. June 1980 - June 1983, flightline avionics, job control and aircraft maintenance branch officer-in-charge, 48th Tactical Fighter Wing, Royal Air Force Lakenheath, England
4. July 1983 - July 1984, student, Education With Industry Program, American Airlines, Tulsa, Okla.
5. July 1984 - October 1987, logistics officer and assistant deputy program manager for logistics, F-15E Logistics Division, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
6. October 1987 - February 1989, F-15E conversion officer, 4th Tactical Fighter Wing, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
7. February 1989 - April 1991, maintenance supervisor, 4th Component Repair Squadron, later, maintenance supervisor, 4th Aircraft Generation Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
8. April 1991 - July 1993, Commander, 4th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
9. July 1993 - June 1994, student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
10. June 1994 - June 1996, Director of Logistics, later, Support Group Commander, U.S. Military Training Mission, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
11. June 1996 - June 1998, Commander, 982nd Training Group, 82nd Training Wing, Sheppard AFB, Texas
12. June 1998 - June 2000, Deputy Director of Logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
13. June 2000 - April 2001, Director, Technology and Industrial Support Directorate, Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center, Tinker AFB, Okla.
14. May 2001 - February 2002, Associate Director for Logistics Resources, Deputy Chief of Staff, Installations and Logistics, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
15. February 2002 - February 2004, Director of Logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein AB, Germany
16. February 2004 - present, Director of Maintenance, Deputy Chief of Staff for Installations and Logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant March 10, 1977
First Lieutenant Jan. 1, 1979
Captain Jan. 1, 1981
Major April 1, 1988
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 1993
Colonel Jan. 1, 1998
Brigadier General Oct. 1, 2003