Brig. Gen. Paul A. Dettmer is Vice Director for Intelligence, the Joint Staff, Washington, D.C. He is responsible for substantive intelligence support to U.S. warfighters, including indications and warning, to the Joint Staff, combatant commanders and Office of the Secretary of Defense.
General Dettmer was born in Bakersfield, Calif. He graduated with honors from the U.S. Air Force Academy where he earned a bachelor?s degree in biological sciences and was commissioned in 1977. He has held a variety of key intelligence leadership positions, including Assessments Division Chief at the Defense Intelligence Agency, Director of the Tactical Signals Intelligence Program Office for the National Security Agency, and Director of all Air Force intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance missions in Europe.
General Dettmer has commanded the 27th Air Intelligence Squadron at Langley Air Force Base, Va.; the 607th Air Intellience Group at Osan Air Base, South Korea; and the Air Force Technical Applications Center at Patrick AFB, Fla. Prior to his current assignment, he was Deputy Director of Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance at Headquarters U.S. Air Force.
1977 Bachelor of Science degree in biological sciences, with honors, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1984 Distinguished graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1988 Master of Science degree in systems technology, with distinction, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, Calif.
1988 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1994 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1995 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2004 National Security Studies, Syracuse University, N.Y.
1. December 1978 ? August 1979, Chief, Operations Support Branch, 6944th Security Wing, Offutt AFB, Neb.
2. August 1979 ? August 1980, Director of Administration, Headquarters Strategic Air Command, Offutt AFB, Nebraska
3. August 1980 ? October 1981, flight commander, 6903rd Electronic Security Squadron, Osan Air Base, South Korea
4. October 1981 ? August 1982, operations officer, 6985th Electronic Security Squadron, Eielson AFB, Alaska
5. August 1982 ? May 1984, Commander, Detachment 1, 6994th Electronic Security Squadron, Howard AFB, Panama
6. May 1984 ? August 1986, Chief, Standardization and Evaluation Division, and aide-de-camp to the Commander, Electronic Security Command, Kelly AFB, Texas
7. April 1988 ? November 1991, Tactical Cryptologic Program Element Monitor, and executive officer, Director for Intelligence Plans, Programs and Policies, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
8. November 1991 ? July 1993, Commander, 27th Air Intelligence Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
9. June 1994 ? May 1997, Chief, Assessments Division (Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Joint Warfighting Capabilities Assessments Program), Director for Intelligence, Defense Intelligence Agency, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
10. May 1997 ? June 1998, Director, Tactical Signals Intelligence Program Office, National Security Agency, Fort George G. Meade, Md.
11. June 1998 ? July 2000, Commander, 607th Air Intelligence Group, Osan AB, South Korea
12. July 2000 ? February 2001, Commander, Air Force Technical Applications Center, Patrick AFB, Fla.
13. February 2001 ? December 2003, Director of Intelligence, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein AB, Germany
14. December 2003 - January 2005, Deputy Director of Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
15. January 2005 - present, Vice Director for Intelligence (J2), the Joint Staff, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with silver and bronze oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 1, 1977
First Lieutenant June 1, 1979
Captain June 1, 1981
Major June 1, 1988
Lieutenant Colonel April 1, 1992
Colonel Aug. 1, 1998
Brigadier General Sept. 1, 2004