Brig. Gen. Paul J. Selva is Director of Operations, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill. He is responsible for directing Department of Defense air, land, and sea common-user transportation operations and programs, as well as providing associated policy guidance.
General Selva graduated from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1980, and completed undergraduate pilot training at Reese AFB, Texas. He has held numerous staff positions and has commanded at squadron, wing and headquarters levels. Prior to his current assignment, the general was Commander, Tanker Airlift Control Center, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB.
General Selva is a command pilot with more than 3,100 hours in the C-5, C-17A, C-141B, KC-10, KC-135A and T-37.
1980 Bachelor of Science degree in aeronautical engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1983 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1984 Master of Science degree in management and human relations, Abilene Christian University, Abilene, Texas
1992 Distinguished graduate, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1992 Master of Science degree in political science, Auburn University, Montgomery, Ala.
1996 National Defense Fellow, Secretary of Defense Strategic Studies Group, Rosslyn, Va.
1. June 1980 - July 1981, student, undergraduate pilot training, Reese AFB, Texas
2. July 1981 - December 1984, co-pilot and aircraft commander, 917th Air Refueling Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
3. January 1984 - December 1988, co-pilot, aircraft commander, instructor pilot, and flight commander, 32nd Air Refueling Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
4. January 1989 - July 1991, company grade adviser to Commander, Strategic Air Command, later, manager of offensive aircraft systems and executive officer, Deputy Chief of Staff, Plans and Resources, Headquarters Strategic Air Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
5. August 1991 - July 1992, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
6. July 1992 - June 1994, instructor pilot and flight commander, 9th Air Refueling Squadron, later, Commander, 722nd Operations Support Squadron, March AFB, Calif.
7. June 1994 - June 1995, Commander, 9th Air Refueling Squadron, later, Deputy Commander, 60th Operations Group, Travis AFB, Calif.
8. July 1995 - June 1996, National Defense Fellow, Secretary of Defense Strategic Studies Group, Rosslyn, Va.
9. July 1996 - August 1998, assistant to the Director, Office of the Secretary of Defense for Net Assessment, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
10. August 1998 - July 2000, Commander, 60th Operations Group, Travis AFB, Calif.
11. July 2000 - June 2002, Commander, 62nd Airlift Wing, McChord AFB, Wash.
12. June 2002 - June 2003, Vice Commander, Tanker Airlift Control Center, Scott AFB, Ill.
13. June 2003 - November 2004, Commander, Tanker Airlift Control Center, Scott AFB, Ill.
14. December 2004 - present, Director of Operations, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
Rating: Command pilot
Hours flown: More than 3,100
Aircraft flown: C-5, C-17A, C-141B, KC-10, KC-135A and T-37
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with two bronze stars
Southwest Asia Service Medal with bronze star
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 28, 1980
First Lieutenant May 28, 1982
Captain May 28, 1984
Major Jan. 1, 1990
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 1994
Colonel Sept. 1, 1998
Brigadier General Jan. 1, 2004