Retired July 1, 1975.
Brigadier General Paul Krause is Deputy Director of Operations, Command and Control (J-3), Headquarters U.S. European Command, at Stuttgart, Germany.
General Krause was born in 1923, in Sarver, Pa., and graduated from Aspinwall High School in June 1941. He graduated magna cum laude from Bellevue College, Neb., with a bachelor of arts degree in history in 1968. He enlisted in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in August 1941 and became a surveyor at Fort Clayton in the Panama Canal Zone.
During World War II in November 1942, he entered the aviation cadet program and attended navigator training at Selman Field, La. In September 1943 he received his navigator wings and commission as second lieutenant. He then served as navigator with the 77th Troop Carrier Squadron of the 435th Troop Carrier Group and went overseas with the squadron to England. In the D-Day invasion, he was in the first wave of the C-47 aircraft to drop paratroopers on Normandy. He participated in the Allied liberation of Holland, the Rhine River crossing, and aerial resupply of Bastogne. He flew on 26 combat missions, dropping paratroopers, gliders, and aerial and ground supplies. He returned to the United States in October 1945.
General Krause next served in various positions and in 1949 completed the navigator-bombardier course at Mather Air Force Base, Calif. He received the triple aeronautical rating of navigator, bombardier and radar operator.
In September 1949 he was assigned to the 2d Bombardment Wing at Hunter Air Force Base, Ga., and was a radar navigator on the B-50 Super Fortress; attended B-47 Stratojet combat crew training and was a B-47 navigator. In June 1954 General Krause joined the 68th Bombardment Wing at Lake Charles Air Force Base, La., and served as wing navigator and deputy director of operations with the B-47 equipped wing.
He was reassigned to Second Air Force with headquarters at Barksdale Air Force Base, La., in August 1956, where he was chief of the Bombardment and Navigation Branch. While serving in that position, he attended the B-52 Stratofortress combat crew training school at Castle Air Force Base, Calif., in 1958. He entered the Air War College at Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., in July 1959.
General Krause went to Carswell Air Force Base, Texas, in June 1960 as chief of the Air Training Branch, 43d Bombardment Wing, where he helped direct the organization of the B-58 Hustler combat crew training school. He later was commander of the 43d Armament-Electronics Maintenance Squadron. He completed B-58 training in 1961. From March 1962 to February 1964, he held the positions of assistant deputy commander for operations and deputy commander for maintenance for the 43d Bombardment Wing. He next was transferred to Bunker Hill (now Grissom) Air Force Base, Ind., as deputy commander for maintenance, 305th Bombardment Wing, a B-58 and KC-135 Stratotanker equipped wing.
In February 1966 General Krause was assigned to Headquarters Strategic Air Command at Offutt Air Force Base, Neb., where he was chief of the Avionics Division, Directorate of Aeronautical Requirements, in the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff, Plans. He was responsible for the development of new and modified bombing and navigation systems, electronic countermeasure equipment, and munitions for all SAC aircraft. In June 1968 he became Deputy Director of Aeronautical Requirements. That same year, he also earned his bachelor of arts degree in history from Bellevue College Neb.
General Krause attended the Minuteman missile launch officer and maintenance staff officer course at Chanute Air Force Base, Ill., and the Minuteman organizational readiness training at Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif., during 1970. In May 1970 he was appointed commander of the 321st Strategic Missile Wing at Grand Forks Air Force Base, N.D.
In November 1972 General Krause was assigned to the Organization of the Joint Chiefs of Staff at the Pentagon, Washington, D.C., where he served as deputy director for operations, National Military Command Center. He was responsible for the continuous operation of the NMCC and assisted the Joint Chiefs of Staff in exercising operational direction over the unified and specified commands by continuously monitoring and evaluating the worldwide politico-military situation.
General Krause assumed duties with Headquarters U.S. European Command as deputy director of operations, Command and Control (J-3), in October 1973.
His military decorations and awards include the Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster, Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters, Air Force Commendation Medal, Army Commendation Medal, and the Air Force Outstanding Unit Award Ribbon. He is rated a master navigator.
He was promoted to the grade of brigadier general effective March 1, 1972, with a date of rank March 1, 1972.