Retired Sep. 1, 1996.
Brigadier General Peter F. Hoffman is command surgeon of the U.S. Transportation Command and Air Mobility Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill. He serves on the staffs of the commander in chief of both commands and is medical adviser to the commander in chief regarding the physical well-being of its personnel. The general also is responsible for AMC's worldwide aeromedical evacuation system and its 14 worldwide medical centers, hospitals and clinics.
The general entered the Air Force in November 1966. After receiving his medical degree, he was assigned to USAF Medical Center Scott, Scott Air Force Base, Ill., as chief of the allergy and immunology service, and as director, division of internal medicine. He has commanded several clinics and hospitals, and has had several scientific papers published. Prior to his assignment to the surgeon general's office as associate director, medical programs and resources, he was surgeon of the 11th Air Force, and commander of the USAF Regional Hospital Elmendorf. He is a diplomate of the American Board of Internal Medicine, American Board of Allergy and Immunology, American Board of Medical Management and the American College of Healthcare Executives. He assumed his current position in July 1994.
1966 Bachelor of arts degree in English, University of Maryland, College Park, Md.
1970 Medical degree in medicine, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, Va.
1977 Doctorate in microbiology and immunology, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, Va.
1. November 1966 - August 1977, training status at AFIT/CIM
2. October 1977 - July 1980, chief, allergy and immunology service, then director, division of internal medicine, USAF Medical Center Scott, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
3. August 1980 - August 1982, commander, USAF Clinic Pope, Pope Air Force Base, N.C.
4. August 1982 - August 1984, commander, USAF Hospital Altus, Altus Air Force Base, Okla.
5. August 1984 - September 1985, director, hospital services and deputy commander, Malcolm Grow Medical Center, Andrews Air Force Base, Md.
6. September 1985 - August 1988, commander, Robert L. Thompson Strategic Hospital, Carswell Air Force Base, Texas
7. August 1988 - August 1991, command surgeon, Alaska Air Command, and commander, USAF Regional Hospital Elmendorf, Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska
8. August 1991 - December 1993, deputy director, medical programs and resources, and associate director, medical programs and resources, Office of the Surgeon General, Bolling Air Force Base, D.C.
9. December 1993 - July 1994, commander and director, Air Force Medical Operations Agency, Office of the Surgeon General, Bolling Air Force Base, D.C.
10. July 1994 - present, command surgeon, U.S. Transportation Command and Air Mobility Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
1976 Associate member, American Medical Records Association
1978 Member, American Academy of Allergy
1979 Fellow of the American College of Physicians
1979 Member, Society of Air Force Physicians
1980 Member, American Medical Association
1993 Member, American College of Physician Executives
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Oct 28, 1960
First Lieutenant May 30, 1968
Captain Nov 30, 1969
Major Nov 30, 1972
Lieutenant Colonel Feb 8, 1979
Colonel Sep 13, 1984
Brigadier General Sep 1, 1993