Brig. Gen. Richard S. Hassan is Director, Air Force Senior Leader Management Office, Washington, D.C. He is the Secretary of the Air Force and Air Force Chief of Staff focal point for all general officer, Senior Executive Service, colonel, GS-15 and chief master sergeant matters. He is responsible for analytically developing Air Force and joint requirements, and assignment plans to optimally assign senior leaders in Department of Defense positions. His office determines promotion requirements, implements Secretary of the Air Force promotion programs, develops policies and plans, and administers a wide range of programs to train and support more than 8,600 senior leaders.
General Hassan graduated from Notre Dame High School in West Haven, Conn., in 1970, and the University of Massachusetts in Boston, in 1974, with a distinction in physics. After four years of teaching high school physics, he received his commission through the Air Force Officer Training School in 1978.
General Hassan has served in a variety of assignments, including duty on the Air Staff, as a commander's aide in a major command, and on a Presidential Commission. He has been Commander of the 4950th Organizational Maintenance Squadron, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, and Commander of the 611th Air Support Group, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska. He served as the Director of Logistics for the Alaskan Command and Alaskan NORAD Region at Elmendorf AFB. The general also served as the Director of Staff of Air Combat Command at Langley AFB, Va., where he oversaw the implementation of the commander's policy of the Air Forces' largest combat command. Prior to assuming his positions with the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel, General Hassan served as executive assistant to the Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
1974 Bachelor of Arts degree in physics, magna cum laude, University of Massachusetts, Boston
1980 Master of Science degree in management and organizational development, United States International University, San Diego, Calif.
1989 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1993 Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. July 1978 - October 1978, student, Officer Training School, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. November 1978 - November 1980, operations research analyst, Directorate of Plans and Programs, Space and Missile Test Center, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
3. November 1980 - July 1981, range operations officer, Directorate of Operations, Space and Missile Test Organization, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
4. July 1981 - July 1983, program analyst, Directorate of Space Systems and C3, Deputy Chief of Staff for Research, Development and Acquisition, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
5. July 1983 - July 1984, Military Assistant for Space Matters, Office of Net Assessment, Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Policy, Washington, D.C.
6. July 1984 - July 1985, Assistant for Officer Evaluations, Office of the Vice Commander, Headquarters Air Force Systems Command, Andrews AFB, Md.
7. July 1985 - July 1987, Chief, Executive Services Division, Deputy Chief of Staff for Research, Development and Acquisition, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
8. July 1987 - January 1989, aide to the Commander, Headquarters Air Force Systems Command, Andrews AFB, Md.
9. January 1989 - July 1989, student, Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
10. July 1989 - August 1992, Commander, 4950th Organizational Maintenance Squadron, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
11. August 1992 - June 1993, student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
12. June 1993 - June 1994, Director of Logistics, and Chief, Logistics Division, 11th Air Force, Alaskan Command, Pacific Air Forces, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
13. June 1994 - June 1995, Director of Logistics, and Commander, 611th Air Support Group, Alaskan Command, Pacific Air Forces, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
14. June 1995 - February 1996, Director of Staff, Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
15. February 1996 - July 1997, executive assistant to the Vice Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
16. July 1997 - August 2001, Chief, Air Force General Officer Matters Office, Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
17. September 2001 - present, Director, Air Force Senior Leader Management Office, Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Oct. 24, 1978
First Lieutenant Oct. 24, 1980
Captain Oct. 24, 1982
Major March 1, 1987
Lieutenant Colonel April 1, 1990
Colonel Feb. 1, 1994
Brigadier General Feb. 1, 2002