Retired Sep. 1, 1996.
Brigadier General Robert A. Hoffmann is commander of the Air Force Office of Special Investigations, a field operating agency with headquarters at Bolling Air Force Base, Washington, D.C. The office is responsible for providing commanders of all Air Force activities independent professional investigative services regarding fraud, counterintelligence and major criminal matters by using a worldwide network of agents stationed at all major Air Force installations and a variety of special operating locations.
Upon graduation from the University of Massachusetts in 1968, he entered the Air Force and was commissioned through the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program.
1968 Bachelor of science degree in psychology, University of Massachusetts
1974 Master of science degree in special studies, George Washington University
1975 Squadron Officer School, correspondence
1977 Air Command and Staff College, seminar
1987 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1. June 1968 - September 1968, student, U.S. Air Force Special Investigations School, Washington, D.C.
2. June 1968 - December 1970, investigator, Personal Security Investigative Division, AFOSI District 4, Suitland, Md.
3. December 1970 - December 1971, criminal investigator, Air Force Office of Special Investigations Detachment 5007, Phan Rang Air Base, South Vietnam.
4. January 1972 - September 1975, staff officer, Counterespionage Division, Headquarters Air Force Office of Special Investigations, Bolling Air Force Base, Washington, D.C.
5. September 1975 - September 1976, staff officer, Air Force Special Plans Office, Directorate of Plans, Washington, D.C.
6. September 1976 - December 1978, detachment commander, Air Force Office of Special Investigations Detachment 7201, Isfahan, Iran.
7. January 1979 - July 1980, chief, Counterespionage Branch, Air Force Office of Special Investigations District 70, Lindsey Air Station, West Germany.
8. July 1980 - July 1982, staff officer, counterintelligence staff, Central Intelligence Agency, Langley, Va.
9. July 1982 - July 1985, deputy commander for operations, Air Force Office of Special Investigations District 4, Andrews Air Force Base, Md.
10. July 1985 - July 1986, detachment commander, Air Force Office of Special Investigations Detachment 7024, Ramstein Air Base, West Germany.
11. July 1986 - June 1987, student, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
12. June 1987 - August 1989, commander, 7276th Air Base Group, Iraklion Air Station, Greece.
13. August 1989 - July 1991, commander, Air Force Office of Special Investigations District 7, Patrick Air Force Base, Fla.
14. July 1991 - April 1993, director, Director of Criminal Investigations and Counterintelligence, Inspector General, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.
15. April 1993 - present, commander, Air Force Office of Special Investigations, Bolling Air Force Base, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
National Intelligence Achievement Medal
Published Article: "Policy Responses to International Terrorism," Quarterly Journal of Ideology, 1987.
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jun 5, 1968
First Lieutenant Dec 25, 1969
Captain Jun 25, 1971
Major Sep 1, 1979
Lieutenant Colonel Nov 1, 1981
Colonel Nov 1, 1986
Brigadier General Jun 1, 1993