Retired Nov. 1, 1970.
Brigadier General Roy C. Crompton assumed his current assignment as secretary to the Joint Chiefs of Staff in June 1969.
General Crompton was born in Atlanta, Ga., in 1919.
A veteran of 29 years service, the general entered the aviation cadet program after graduation from the University of Georgia at Athens in 1941.
The year after his graduation saw the general through pilot training and into flying operations.
In 1948, as a command pilot, he was aboard the first C-54 aircraft to arrive on the Berlin Airlift. Since then, he has logged more than 8,500 flying hours.
The general's decorations include the Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters, the Medal for Humane Action, and the Joint Service Commendation Medal.
General Crompton was previously assigned to the Strategic Air Command prior to his tour at the Pentagon in Washington, D.C.
From 1956-1959 he was director of materiel and inspector general at Headquarters, Fifteenth Air Force, March Air Force Base, Calif.
The general attended Industrial College of the Armed Forces at Fort McNair, Washington, D.C., during the period August 1959 until June 1960. From there he was assigned to the Pentagon as chief, Special Weapons Branch, Weapons Plans Division, Department of Defense, War Plans, director, Plans and Policies, Headquarters, U.S. Air Force. He served in this capacity for one year, from June 1960 until June 1961.
From June 1961 until June 1963 he was a member of the Atomic Energy and Guided Missile Branch, J-5 Plans and Policies Directorate, Headquarters, U.S. Air Force Central Control Group, Office of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Washington, D.C.
From Washington the general moved west to Rapid City, S.D., where he became vice commander of the 28th Bombardment Wing (Heavy) at Ellsworth Air Force Base, during the period June 1963 - September 1963. At that time he assumed the position of base commander of Ellsworth Air Force Base, remaining in that capacity until May 1964.
In May 1964, he was transferred to Schilling Air Force Base, Kan., where he became commander of the 310th Strategic Aerospace Wing. From Schilling Air Force Base, he was reassigned to Headquarters, Fifteenth Air Force at March Air Force Base, Calif., where, as the director of materiel for that headquarters, he functioned during the period June 1965 until January 1966, when he was assigned to Castle Air Force Base, Calif., to assume command of the 93rd Bombardment Wing (Heavy).
From Castle Air Force Base he was transferred to Grand Forks Air Force Base, N.D., where he assumed command of the 4th Strategic Aerospace Division in September 1966.
From Grand Forks Air Force Base, N.D., he was transferred to the Organization of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Plans and Policy Directorate (J-5) on July 17 where he became chief of the Objectives Plans and Programs Division. He served in this capacity until June 1969, when he was appointed to his present position.