Retired Aug. 1, 2001.
Brig. Gen. Sharla J. "Kris" Cook is commander, 82nd Training Wing, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas. As commander of the largest technical training wing in the Air Force, she has overall responsibility for the technical and health care training of approximately 40,000 Air Force, Army, Navy and Marine Corps students each year, and another 50,000 students worldwide through the wing's field training detachments.
The general was commissioned in July 1972 after completing Officer Training School as a distinguished graduate. She is a career maintenance officer who pioneered as one of the first women officers assigned to the aircraft maintenance career field. She holds the Master Aircraft Maintenance Badge, and has commanded three aircraft maintenance squadrons and a logistics group. Two of her squadrons were named best in their command, and the 82nd Training Wing received the Air Force Outstanding Unit Award in June 2000. The general is also a certified acquisition specialist who holds professional certification at Level II in program management and Level III in acquisition logistics.
1971 Honor graduate, bachelor of science degree in education, honors program, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah
1972 Distinguished graduate, Officer Training School, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
1973 Aircraft Maintenance Officer Course, Chanute Air Force Base, Ill.
1977 Master's degree in logistics management, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
1985 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1993 Distinguished graduate, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. February 1973 - April 1975, chief, KC-135 Tanker Branch, later, assistant maintenance supervisor and assistant officer-in-charge of wing job control, 509th Bombardment Wing, Pease Air Force Base, N.H.
2. June 1975 - January 1976, wing job control officer, U-Tapao Air Base, Thailand
3. January 1976 - June 1977, graduate student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
4. July 1977 - February 1981, emergency war order and contingency plans officer, and executive officer, Directorate of Aircraft Maintenance, later, executive officer to the deputy chief of staff for logistics, Headquarters Strategic Air Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb.
5. February 1981 - March 1982, aide-de-camp to commander, Sacramento Air Logistics Center, McClellan Air Force Base, Calif.
6. March 1982 - July 1984, deputy chief, Inventory and Scheduling Branch, Directorate of Aircraft Maintenance; deputy chief, Central Receiving Branch, Directorate of Distribution; buyer, Directorate of Procurement; and FB-111 system officer, Directorate of Material Management, Sacramento Air Logistics Center, McClellan Air Force Base, Calif.
7. July 1984 - June 1985, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
8. June 1985 - June 1987, commander, 374th Organizational Maintenance Squadron, Clark Air Base, Philippines
9. June 1987 - June 1988, maintenance operations officer, 58th Tactical Training Wing, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.
10. June 1988 - January 1991, commander, 58th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, later, commander, 58th Aircraft Generation Squadron, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.
11. January 1991 - October 1991, assistant deputy commander for maintenance, 58th Tactical Training Wing, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.
12. October 1991 - June 1992, deputy commander, 58th Support Group, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.
13. July 1992 - June 1993, student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
14. July 1993 - July 1994, commander, 8th Logistics Group, Kunsan Air Base, South Korea
15. July 1994 - October 1995, chief of maintenance engineering, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii
16. October 1995 - February 1996, assistant director of logistics, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii
17. March 1996 - March 1997, director, Aircraft Directorate, Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill Air Force Base, Utah
18. March 1997 - April 1999, director of logistics, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
19. April 1999 - present, commander, 82nd Training Wing, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
Master Aircraft Maintenance Badge
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
Air Force Recognition Ribbon
National Defense Service Medal with service star
1985 Military Airlift Command Maintenance Effectiveness Award
1986 Lance P. Sijan USAF Leadership Award
1989 Tactical Air Command Maintenance Effectiveness Award
1997 Utah Women of Achievement Award, Governor's Commission for Women and Families
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jul 13, 1972
First Lieutenant Jul 13, 1974
Captain Jul 13, 1976
Major Mar 1, 1984
Lieutenant Colonel Jun 1, 1989
Colonel Jan 1, 1992
Brigadier General Jan 1, 1998