Retired Jan. 1, 2002.
Brig. Gen. Stanley A. Sieg is director of contracting, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. He is responsible for developing and implementing contracting policies and processes to annually acquire $31 billion in research and development, production, and test and logistic support for Air Force weapons systems and infrastructure. He is directly responsible for the training, organizing and equipping of more than 4,000 contracting professionals.
The general received his commission in 1970 after being honored a distinguished graduate of the University of New Mexico ROTC program. He entered active duty in 1972 after receiving a master of business administration degree from the University of Oklahoma. He has held various assignments in contracting, including working at the Secretary of the Air Force level, as a Department of Defense plant representative, and as a depot commander in South Korea. In addition, he has led large item management organizations at the center and major command levels. He served as AFMC's inspector general and as director of propulsion at the Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center, where he managed and repaired more than half of the Air Force's aircraft engines. Also, he served as AFMC's director of logistics and managed more than $10 billion annually in Air Force wholesale supply and depot maintenance activities for more than 23,000 people.
The general holds the Acquisition Professional Development Program's highest certifications in program management, acquisition logistics and contracting.
1970 Bachelor's degree in business administration, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque
1971 Master's degree in business administration, University of Oklahoma, Norman
1974 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1981 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1987 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1991 Defense System Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va.
1996 Advanced Management Program, Northwestern University, Evanston, Ill.
1. January 1972 - October 1976, manufacturing officer and contract administrator, Air Force Plant Representative Office, McDonnell Douglas Corp., St. Louis, Mo.
2. October 1976 - September 1977, Air Staff Training Program officer and procurement staff officer, Assistant Chief of Staff for Communications and Computer Resources, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
3. September 1977 - January 1981, chief, commander's management research office and executive officer to the commander, Headquarters Air Force Contract Management Division, Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M.
4. January 1981 - July 1981, student, Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
5. July 1981 - June 1984, commander and Department of Defense plant representative, Defense Contract Administration Services Plant Representative Office, International Telephone and Telegraph, Nutley, N.J.
6. June 1984 - July 1986, commander, Air Force Contract Maintenance Center, Kimhae International Airport, South Korea
7. July 1986 - June 1987, student, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
8. June 1987 - August 1989, chief, Item Management Division, Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center, Tinker Air Force Base, Okla.
9. August 1989 - August 1991, chief, Systems and Logistics Contracting Division, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington D.C.
10. August 1991 - December 1991, student, Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va.
11. December 1991 - March 1993, director of requirements, integration and analysis, Deputy Chief of Staff for Requirements, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, and chief of item management, Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Headquarters Air Force Logistics Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
12. March 1993 - June 1995, inspector general, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
13. June 1995 - November 1997, director of propulsion, Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center, Tinker Air Force Base, Okla.
14. November 1997 - August 2000, director of logistics, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
15. August 2000 - present, director of contracting, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Medal of Merit, Air Force Association
Certified Professional Contracts Manager, National Contract Management Association
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jun 5,1970
First Lieutenant Feb 1, 1973
Captain Jul 15, 1975
Major Jul 1,1980
Lieutenant Colonel Mar 1,1984
Colonel Jul 1,1988
Brigadier General Aug 1, 1998