Retired April 30, 1963. Died Oct. 31, 1976.
Stephen B. Mack was born in Flora, Ill., in 1909, a graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. General Mack completed his initial flight training at Kelly Field, Texas in 1934. He flew more than 90 combat missions over Italy during World War II, piloting A-36, P-40, and P-47 aircraft.
His combat service merited him the Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters, the Legion of Merit, the Distinguished Flying Cross and the French Croix de Guerre.
In October 1949 he was assigned to Scott Air Force Base, Ill., as director of technical training, Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, Headquarters Air Training Command. Following a year's study at the National War College at Fort McNair, D.C., General Mack was named in July 1951, assistant deputy chief of staff for operations at Headquarters Alaskan Air Command at Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska.
A year later he became deputy chief of staff for operations. In September of 1952 he was named commander of the 160th Aircraft Control and Warning Group at Ladd Air Force Base, Alaska. In February 1953, he became commander of the 548th AC&W Group at Ladd, a post he held until May of that year when he was reassigned to the command of the 37th Fighter Bomb Wing at Clovis Air Force Base, N.M.
In August of 1953 he was named chief of staff at Ninth Air Force headquarters, then at Pope Air Force Base, N.C. He held this post through Ninth's move to Shaw, until June 1955, when he was reassigned as commander of Shaw Air Force Base and the 363d Tactical Reconnaissance Wing. General Mack took command of Shaw's 637th Air Division in February 1958, until July of that year when he moved to Tactical Air Command headquarters at Langley Air Force Base, Va., as Inspector General.
He returned to Shaw in July 1961 to serve as deputy commander for Ninth Air Force.