Retired June 1, 1998.
Brigadier General Stephen E. Kelley is director of command, control, communications and computer systems (J-6), United States Transportation Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill. He is responsible for the planning, integration, operations and maintenance of U.S. Transportation Command's command, control, communications and computer systems.
The general entered the Air Force in 1967 as a distinguished graduate of Officer Training School. He has commanded at the communications squadron, group and division levels. He has held key staff positions in Air Force Communications Command, Air Mobility Command and the Air Staff. A fully qualified joint specialty officer, he has completed a tour as the command, control, communications and computer systems director (J-6), U.S. Central Command.
1967 Bachelor of arts degree in economics, University of Notre Dame
1973 Squadron Officer School
1974 Master of science degree in telecommunications management, University of Southern Mississippi
1974 Air Command and Staff College
1985 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1990 Senior Officials in National Security Course, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Mass.
1. August 1968 - June 1970, base communications officer and commander, Detachment 1, 1979th Communications Squadron, Royal Air Force Sculthorpe, England
2. June 1970 - June 1972, chief, command and control division and systems management division, Mediterranean Communications Region Headquarters, Torrejon Air Base, Spain
3. June 1972 - June 1973, Air Staff action officer, directorate of command, control and communications, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
4. June 1973 - June 1974, student, Communications-Electronics Staff Officer Course, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss.
5. June 1974 - June 1977, plans action officer and assistant director of Commander's Management Action Group, Air Force Communications Service, Richards-Gebaur Air Force Base, Mo.
6. June 1977 - July 1979, executive officer to the commander, Air Force Communications Service, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
7. July 1979 - July 1982, commander, 1942nd Communications Squadron, and director, communications-electronics, 31st Tactical Training Wing, Homestead Air Force Base, Fla.
8. July 1982 - July 1984, assistant for communications to the director of operations, deputy chief of staff for plans and operations; chief, current operations division; assistant chief of staff for information systems, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
9. August 1984 - June 1985, student, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
10. July 1985 - July 1987, commander, 1928th Communications Group, and director, communications and computer systems, 56th Tactical Training Wing, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla.
11. July 1987 - April 1988, deputy chief of staff for plans and requirements, Air Force Communications Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
12. April 1988 - March 1990, chief of staff, Air Force Communications Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
13. March 1990 - October 1990, commander, Airlift Communications Division Command, Air Force Communications Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
14. March 1990 - July 1992, deputy chief of staff for command, control, communications and computer systems, Air Mobility Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
15. July 1992 - July 1995, director, command and control, communications and computer systems (J-6), U.S. Central Command, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla.
16. August 1995 - present, director, command, control, communications and computer systems (J-6), U.S. Transportation Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Aug 21, 1967
First Lieutenant Feb 21, 1969
Captain Aug 21, 1970
Major Sep 1, 1978
Lieutenant Colonel Oct 1, 1980
Colonel Oct 1, 1985
Brigadier General May 25, 1995