Retired March 31, 1960. Died Dec. 24, 1973.
Stoyte Oglesby Ross was born in Jacksonville, Fla., in 1906. He attended the Mount Duval High School and the Mount Dora, Fla., High School and then studied civil engineering at the University of Florida.
Enlisting as a private in the Field Artillery at Fort Bragg, N.C., in April 1928, shortly thereafter General Ross entered flying training school, graduating from advanced flying school, Kelly Field, Texas in June 1929. He was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Air Reserve on June 22, 1929 and received his Regular commission as a second lieutenant in the Air Corps on Jan. 6, 1930.
General Ross was one of the pioneers of air route flying, supervising the air mail service between Miami and Jacksonville, Fla., during the open cockpit era of 1934. Using O-38, O-2H and B-6 type aircraft, a schedule of from five to six trips a day was maintained throughout the period that the Army Air Corps flew the mail.
Appointed director of training for the Advanced Flying School at Lake Charles, La., in November 1941, General Ross assumed command of the school in August 1942. After serving as commander of Aloe Army Air Field, Victoria, Texas from July 1943 until September 1945 he became commander of Carlsbad Army Air Field, N.M.
Going overseas in January 1946, the general became assistant chief of staff for personnel of the 13th Air Force, Clark Field, Philippine Islands, assuming command of the 72nd Air Service Group at Clark Field in October 1946. Becoming commander of the 358th Air Service Group there in April 1947, he was appointed commander of Clark Field two months later.
The following February General Ross became deputy assistant chief of staff for Personnel of the 14th Air Force at Orlando Air Force Base, Fla., and in June 1948 assumed command of Orlando Air Force Base. Entering the Air War College at Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., in August 1948, he graduated a year later and was named chief of the Academic Division at the Air University. Appointed commandant of the USAF Extension Course Institute at Gunter Air Force Base, Ala., in May 1950, the general returned to Maxwell Air Force Base in November 1951 to become commander of the 3800th Air University Wing.
General Ross was appointed commander, Headquarters Command, Bolling Air Force Base, D.C., on June 14, 1952.
Transferred on July 5, 1956, the general reported for duty as chief, Military Assistance Advisory Group, with station at Copenhagen, Denmark.
His decorations include the Legion of Merit. He is rated a command pilot, aircraft and combat observer.