Brig. Gen. Terry L. Scherling serves concurrently as the Deputy Director for Antiterrorism and Homeland Defense, and Joint Director of Military Support, Directorate for Operations, the Joint Staff, Washington, D.C. She is responsible for oversight of operational anti-terrorism and force protection matters worldwide, and the planning, coordination, and execution of domestic homeland defense operations and military assistance to civil authorities. As a member of the Joint Staff, the general serves as military adviser to the Chairman of the Joint Staff and Secretary of Defense for matters related to domestic military operations and as the military representative to the interagency when MACA operations are in effect.
General Scherling was commissioned in 1975. She has served in various assignments at the wing, state headquarters, National Guard Bureau and on the Air Staff. The general has served as Chief of Supply for the 119th Fighter Wing, and as Chief, Supply Division at the NGB. Her command experience includes serving as the U.S. Property and Fiscal Officer for the NGB. She has also served as the Chief Support Officer, the primary adviser to the Director of the Air National Guard on support issues involving medical, civil engineering, information management, services, security forces, personnel and logistics.
After Sept. 11, 2001, General Scherling was named ANG Assistant for Homeland Security, Air Force Directorate of Homeland Security. Prior to assuming her current position, General Scherling was the Chief of Staff, Connecticut ANG and Director of the Joint Staff, Connecticut National Guard concurrent with service as an executive for the Transportation Security Administration. The general is a career logistician.
1975 commission, Academy of Military Science
1977 Bachelor of science degree, North Dakota State University
1978 Squadron Officer's School
1993 Air Command and Staff College
1995 Master of science in national resource strategy, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2000 Fellow, Seminar XXI, Foreign Political and International Relations, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge
1. November 1975 - September 1977, maintenance squadron administrative officer, 119th Fighter Group, North Dakota ANG, Fargo, N.D.
2. September 1977 - April 1979, director, group administration, 119th Fighter Group, North Dakota ANG, Fargo, N.D.
3. April 1979 - August 1985, management and procedures officer, 119th Fighter Group, North Dakota ANG, Fargo, N.D.
4. August 1985 - September 1994, Chief of Supply, 119th Fighter Wing, North Dakota ANG, Fargo, N.D.
5. July 1994 - June 1995, student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
6. June 1995 - September 1996, Chief, Supply Division, ANG Readiness Center, Andrews Air Force Base, Md.
7. September 1996 - August 1998, U. S. Property and Fiscal Officer for the State of North Dakota, NGB, Bismarck, N.D.
8. August 1998 - November 2001, Chief Support Officer for the Air National Guard, NGB, Arlington, Va.
9. November 2001 - January 2003, ANG Assistant for Homeland Security, Air Force Directorate of Homeland Security, Deputy Chief of Staff for Air and Space Operations, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
10. October 2002 ? July 2003, Chief of Staff, Connecticut ANG, Hartford, Conn.
11. July 2003 - present, Deputy Director Antiterrorism and Homeland Defense, and Joint Director of Military Support, the Joint Staff, J34, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
Master Supply Badge
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with two oak leaf clusters
National Defense Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Longevity Service with four oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with hourglass
Air Force Training Ribbon
Member, Senior Executive Service
U.S. Grants Officer
Outstanding Young North Dakotan, Fargo Jaycees
Outstanding Young Women of America
Who's Who in American Colleges and Universities
Blue Key National Honor Fraternity
Rho Lambda National Panhellenic Honorary Society
Outstanding Officer, National Guard Association of North Dakota
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Nov 20, 1975
First Lieutenant Nov 20, 1978
Captain Oct 18, 1981
Major Aug 24, 1988
Lieutenant Colonel Apr 15, 1993
Colonel Jul 24, 1997
Brigadier General Oct 1, 2002