Retired Sep. 1, 1997.
Brigadier General Terryl J. "Terry" Schwalier is director of operations and training, deputy chief of staff, air and space operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. This directorate consists of more than 500 military and civilian members in nine divisions and four field operating agencies responsible for every aspect of Air Force current operations and training.
The general entered the Air Force in June 1969 upon graduation from the U.S. Air Force Academy. He has flown the RF-4C and F-16C in combat and instructed in the T-38 and F-4E. He has commanded an F-16 squadron and an F-111E wing. He has served as a wing and numbered air force flying safety officer, led the operations inspection division for a major command, led the nuclear operations division for the Joint Staff, and was chief of the Air Force Colonels' Group. He is a command pilot with more than 3,400 hours.
1969 Bachelor of science degree in engineering sciences, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1976 Squadron Officer School
1977 Master of arts degree in human resources engineering, Pepperdine University, Calif.
1981 National Security Management Program
1982 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1990 Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. July 1969 - July 1970, student, undergraduate pilot training, Moody Air Force Base, Ga.
2. August 1970 - November 1970, student, T-38A instructor upgrading training, Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla.
3. November 1970 - June 1974, T-38A instructor pilot, 50th Flying Training Squadron, Columbus Air Force Base, Miss.
4. July 1974 - January 1975, student, RF-4C combat training course, Shaw Air Force Base, S.C.
5. February 1975 - October 1975, wing flying safety officer, 432nd Tactical Fighter Wing, Udorn Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand
6. October 1975 - August 1978, flying safety officer, 9th Air Force, Shaw Air Force Base, S.C.
7. August 1978 - January 1979, student, F-4E combat training course, Homestead Air Force Base, Fla.
8. February 1979 - July 1981, instructor pilot, flight commander, assistant operations officer, 10th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Hahn Air Base, West Germany
9. August 1981 - June 1982, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
10. June 1982 - July 1984, chief, plans and operations division, Air Force Colonels' Group, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
11. July 1984 - January 1985, student, F-16 combat training course, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla.
12. February 1985 - December 1987, operations officer and commander, 614th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Torrejon Air Base, Spain
13. December 1987 - March 1988, assistant director for operations and intelligence, 16th Air Force, Torrejon Air Base, Spain
14. March 1988 - July 1989, chief, operations division, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe Inspector General, Ramstein Air Base, West Germany
15. August 1989 - June 1990, student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
16. June 1990 - August 1991, chief, Air Force Colonels' Group, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
17. August 1991 - June 1992, chief, Air Force Colonels' Group, Washington, D.C.
18. June 1992 - July 1992, student, F-111E combat training course, Cannon Air Force Base, N.M.
19. July 1992 - July 1993, commander, 20th Fighter Wing, Upper Heyford Royal Air Force, England
20. July 1993 - July 1995, chief, nuclear operations command and control division (J36) for the operations directorate, the Joint Staff, Washington, D.C.
21. July 1995 - July 1996, commander, 4404th Wing (Provisional), Southwest Asia
22. July 1996 - present, director of operation and training, deputy chief of staff, air and space operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jun 4, 1969
First Lieutenant Dec 4, 1970
Captain Jun 4, 1972
Major Sep 1, 1979
Lieutenant Colonel Mar 1, 1984
Colonel Jun 1, 1989
Brigadier General Aug 1, 1994