Brig. Gen. Thomas L. Hemingway is the Legal Adviser to the Appointing Authority in the Department of Defense Office of Military Commissions. He is responsible for providing legal advice to the Appointing Authority on referral of charges, questions that arise during trial, and other legal matters concerning military commissions. His duties also include supervising the Appointing Authority legal staff.
The general, a distinguished graduate of the Air Force ROTC program, was commissioned as a second lieutenant in November 1962 after earning his undergraduate degree at Willamette University, Salem, Ore. Upon graduation, the general took an educational delay and earned his doctor of jurisprudence in 1965 at Willamette University.
General Hemingway entered active service in November 1965 and has served as a staff judge advocate at the group, wing, numbered air force, major command and unified command level. He has also been an associate professor of law at the U.S. Air Force Academy and a senior judge on the Air Force Court of Military Review. The general is a member of the state bar in Oregon and the District of Columbia, and has been admitted to practice before the U.S. Court of Federal Claims and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. He retired from active service in October 1996. General Hemingway was recalled to active service in August 2003 to fill his current position.
1962 Bachelor of arts degree, Willamette University, Salem, Ore.
1965 Doctor of jurisprudence, Willamette University, Salem, Ore.
1. November 1965 - January 1969, Chief of Civil Law, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
2. January 1969 - January 1970, Chief of Military Justice and provincial liaison with the Thai government, Udorn Royal Thai AFB, Thailand
3. January 1970 - July 1971, Chief of Military Justice, 15th Air Force, March AFB, Calif.
4. July 1971 - July 1975, Associate Professor of Law, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
5. July 1975 - July 1979, Staff Judge Advocate, 62nd Military Airlift Wing, McChord AFB, Wash.
6. July 1979 - June 1982, Staff Judge Advocate, 435th Tactical Airlift Wing, Rhein-Main Air Base, West Germany
7. June 1982 - October 1983, senior judge on the Air Force Court of Military Review, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
8. October 1983 - July 1985, Chief of Military Justice, Office of the Judge Advocate General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C., and Chairman of the Joint Service Committee on Military Justice and the DOD Military Justice Act of 1983 Advisory Commission
9. July 1985 - June 1988, Staff Judge Advocate, 17th Air Force, Sembach AB, West Germany
10. June 1988 - May 1990, Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein AB, Germany
11. May 1990 - August 1991, Director of the U.S. Air Force Judiciary and Vice Commander of the Air Force Legal Services Center, Washington, D.C.
12. August 1991 - August 1996, Chief Counsel, U.S. Transportation Command, and Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
13. August 2003 - present, Legal Adviser to the Appointing Authority, Office of Military Commissions, Office of the General Counsel, Department of Defense, Washington D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Federal Republic of Germany Military Achievement Medal
1985 Justice Tom C. Clark Award for outstanding accomplishments in career service to the U.S. government, District of Columbia Chapter of the Federal Bar Association. He is the only officer in the military service to receive the award.
2002 Distinguished Alumni Citation for achievement in government service, Willamette University
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jun 3, 1962
First Lieutenant Jun 3, 1965
Captain Jan 27, 1967
Major Sep 1, 1973
Lieutenant Colonel Feb 1, 1979
Colonel Aug 1, 1983
Brigadier General May 1, 1992