Brig. Gen. Thomas S. Bailey Jr. is Command Surgeon, Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. In this capacity he is responsible for advising the AFMC Commander on all medical matters, and he is the controlling manager for the command's 10 community-based medical treatment facilities, ranging from outpatient clinics to major teaching hospitals. He ensures the wartime readiness and combat support capability for more than 7,000 medical personnel, and supervises and monitors the peacetime healthcare to more than 435,000 beneficiaries. In addition, General Bailey oversees the environmental and occupational health support for AFMC's industrial, research, development, and testing and evaluation missions. He is responsible for medical research and development, education and training, and science and technology programs conducted at the 311th Human Systems Wing, U.S. Air Force School of Aerospace Medicine, U.S. Air Force Institute for Environment, Safety, and Occupational Health Risk Analysis, and Air Force Research Laboratory. The general also serves as the Assistant Surgeon General for Dental Services. He is the principal adviser on all dental matters and ensures the coordination of dental activities with those of the medical service to effect a total and complete health program in support of the Air Force mission.
General Bailey received his commission to captain in 1975. He has since commanded of the 354th Medical Group, Eielson AFB, Alaska, was the Joint Task Force surgeon during Operation Southern Watch, and served as Chief of the Medical Operations Center, Office of the Air Force Surgeon General, Washington, D.C., and Deputy Command Surgeon, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill. Prior to assuming his current position, General Bailey was the Commander, 74th Medical Group, Aeronautical Systems Center, and Lead Agent, Department of Defense Health Service Region 5, Wright-Patterson AFB.
1969 Bachelor of science degree in zoology, Texas A&M University, College Station
1973 Doctor of dental surgery, Baylor University College of Dentistry, Dallas, Texas
1986 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1988 Air War College, by correspondence
1999 Master's degree in national security strategy, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. February 1976 - August 1978, assistant base dental surgeon, Common Defense Installation Detachment 46, Karamursel, Turkey
2. August 1978 - July 1981, general dentistry officer, U.S. Air Force Clinic, 52nd Tactical Fighter Wing, Spangdahlem Air Base, West Germany
3. July 1981 - August 1982, residency training, U.S. Air Force Regional Hospital, Eglin AFB, Fla.
4. August 1982 - August 1986, Chief of Dental Surgery and Chief of Professional Services, 93rd Strategic Hospital, Castle AFB, Calif.
5. August 1986 - September 1987, assistant base dental surgeon, U.S. Air Force Clinic, Rhein-Main AB, West Germany
6. September 1987 - September 1990, base dental surgeon, U.S. Air Force Clinic, Rhein-Main AB, West Germany
7. September 1990 - July 1992, base dental surgeon, 343rd Medical Group, Eielson AFB, Alaska
8. July 1992 - August 1995, Commander, 354th Medical Group, Eielson AFB, Alaska
9. August 1995 - April 1996, Chief, Contingency Operations Team, Office of the Command Surgeon, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
10. April 1996 - August 1997, Chief, Plans and Readiness Division, Office of the Command Surgeon, Headquarters ACC, Langley AFB, Va.
11. September 1997 - July 1998, Joint Task Force Surgeon, JTF-Southwest Asia, Operation Southern Watch, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
12. August 1998 - June 1999, student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
13. July 1999 - May 2000, Chief, Medical Operations Center, Office of the Air Force Surgeon General, Washington, D.C.
14. May 2000 - July 2001, Deputy to Assistant Surgeon General for Readiness, Office of the Air Force Surgeon General, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
15. July 2001 - May 2002, Deputy Command Surgeon, Headquarters AMC, Scott AFB, Ill.
16. May 2002 - July 2003, Commander, 74th Medical Group, Aeronautical Systems Center, and Lead Agent, Department of Defense Health Service Region 5, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
17. July 2003 - present, Command Surgeon, AFMC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
National Defense Service Medal with two bronze stars
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Air Force Overseas Ribbon-Short
Air Force Overseas Ribbon-Long with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Longevity Service Award Ribbon with five oak leaf clusters
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Training Ribbon
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
American Dental Association
Fellow, Academy of General Dentistry
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Captain Jan. 11, 1976
Major Dec. 2, 1979
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 2, 1985
Colonel Dec. 2, 1991
Brigadier General Dec. 1, 2002