Retired Aug. 1, 1966. Died March 1, 1970.
William Ferrall Cook was born in 1908 in Shepherd, Mich. Graduating from Shepherd High School in 1926, he continued his studies at Ferris Institute in Big Rapids, and at Central Michigan State Teachers in Mount Pleasant, Mich. He began medical school at the University of Michigan in 1930 receiving his doctor of medicine degree in 1935.
Dr. Cook entered Army service as a first lieutenant in July 1936 following completion of his medical internship at William Beaumont General Hospital in El Paso, Texas. His initial assignment was Fort Sill, Okla., for a year after which he went to both the Army Medical Service School at Walter Reed Hospital, Washington, D.C., and the Medical Field Service School at Carlisle, Pa. He received the Hoff Memorial Medal as the honor graduate of the December 1937 class of the Medical Service School.
In June 1938, Dr. Cook reported for duty at Fort Myer, Va., and just over a year later - on July 1, 1939 - received promotion to captain. He transferred to MacDi1l Field, Fla., in 1940 with the Army Air Force.
With the outbreak of World War II, he became Major Cook Feb. 1, 1942, and went overseas in May 1942 as surgeon, 8th Bomber Command at High Wycomb, England. As the sole medical member of Eighth Air Force, Jr. - a six officer planning board for the North African Invasion - he distinguished himself by solving critical medical supply problems for the invasion.
Promoted to lieutenant colonel in September 1942, Dr. Cook was deputy surgeon of Mediterranean Allied Air Forces when the North African Invasion began Nov. 8, 1942. He received the Bronze Star for his work in the planning and implementation of medical support in the invasion. Moving medical units to wherever Allied Air Forces operated, Dr. Cook saw action in Tunisia, Sicily, Italy and Southern France in the two years to fol1ow.
On Dec. 26, 1943 came promotion to colonel and Dr. Cook became surgeon, 12th Air Force in Foggia, Italy. He returned to the United States in March 1945 after 34 months overseas service.
During the next 10 years, except for a residency in ophthalmology at the Letterman Army Hospital in San Francisco, Calif., Dr. Cook served in Washington, D.C. From 1945 to 1950, he was chief of plans and hospitalization for the Air Surgeon, Army Air Force. Upon his return in February 1951, he became chief of the medical facilities division in Headquarters U.S. Air Force.
In August 1955, Dr. Cook became Deputy Surgeon, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, in Weisbaden, Germany, where he remained until August 1959. Returning stateside as deputy surgeon of Tactical Air Command, Dr. Cook was named TAC surgeon in February 1962. He received promotion to brigadier general Feb. 28, 1963.