Retired July 1, 1995.
Brigadier General William L. Worthington Jr. is commander, 82nd Training Wing, Air Education and Training Command, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas. As wing commander, he has overall responsibility for training some 40,000 Air Force students each year, and another 93,000 students worldwide through the wing's field training detachments.
The general was commissioned through Officer Training School, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, in 1964. He has held a variety of assignments in maintenance and logistics fields, as well as command positions at the wing, center, numbered Air Force and major air command levels.
1963 Bachelor of science degree in sociology, Morehead State University, Ky.
1968 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1975 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1979 Master's degree in personnel counseling, Troy State University, Ala.
1979 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1. September 1963 - December 1963, student, Officer Training School, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
2. December 1963 - October 1964, student, Aircraft Maintenance Officer Course, Chanute Air Force Base, Ill.
3. October 1964 - March 1966, officer-in-charge, fabrication branch and propulsion division, 464th Field Maintenance Squadron, Pope Air Force Base, N.C.
4. March 1966 - July 1966, quality control and standardization and training officer, 314th Troop Carrier Wing, Tachikawa Air Base, Japan
5. July 1966 - February 1967, officer-in-charge, reports and records branch, 314th Troop Carrier Wing, Ching Chuan Kang Air Base, Republic of China, Taiwan
6. March 1967 - August 1967, aircraft maintenance officer, 1st Combat Applications Group, Auxiliary Field 9, Eglin Air Force Base, Fla.
7. September 1967 - June 1969, chief, training control branch and chief quality assurance division, 4410th Combat Crew Training Wing, Auxiliary Field 9, Eglin Air Force Base, Fla.
8. June 1969 - July 1973, assistant director of maintenance, then director of maintenance, Headquarters Special Operations Forces, Eglin Air Force Base, Fla.
9. July 1973 - July 1974, chief of maintenance, 40th Aerospace Rescue and Recovery Squadron, Nakhon Phanom Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand
10. July 1974 - July 1975, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
11. August 1975 - January 1978, commander, 513th Organizational Maintenance Squadron, 513th Tactical Airlift Wing, Royal Air Force Station Mildenhall, England
12. February 1978 - July 1978, assistant deputy commander for maintenance, then deputy commander for maintenance, 513th Tactical Airlift Wing, Royal Air Force Station Mildenhall, England
13. August 1978 - May 1979, student, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
14. May 1979 - August 1982, director of maintenance and deputy commander for logistics, Air Force Logistics Management Center, Gunter Air Force Station, Ala.
15. August 1982 - July 1984, deputy commander for maintenance, 363rd Tactical Fighter Wing, Shaw Air Force Base, S.C.
16. July 1984 - June 1985, chief, aircraft division, directorate of maintenance, Sacramento Air Logistics Center, McClellan Air Force Base, Calif.
17. June 1985 - September 1988, assistant deputy chief of staff for logistics, Headquarters Tactical Air Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
18. September 1988 - March 1990, commander, 554th Operations Support Wing, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
19. March 1990 - June 1992, vice commander, San Antonio Air Logistics Center, Kelly Air Force Base, Texas
20. July 1992 - June 1993, deputy chief of staff for logistics, Headquarters Air Training Command, Kelly Air Force Base, Texas
21. July 1993 - October 1993, director of logistics, Air Education and Training Command, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
22. October 1993 - present, commander, 82nd Training Wing, Air Education and Training Command, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Vietnam Service Medal with two bronze service stars
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Dec 20, 1963
First Lieutenant Jun 20, 1965
Captain Jun 20, 1967
Major Dec 1, 1973
Lieutenant Colonel Apr 1, 1978
Colonel Aug 1, 1982
Brigadier General Jun 1, 1990