Retired. Died Nov. 14, 1990.
Brig. Gen. Winslow C. Morse assumed command of the Air Reserve Records Center, 3800 York Street, Denver, Colo., on Nov. 28, 1956.
The Air Reserve Records Center is a "manpower bank" of more than a half-million Air Force reservists not on extended active duty.
The primary goal of the Air Reserve Records Center -- a headquarters with a numbered air force status under Continental Air Command, Mitchel Air Force Base, N.Y. -- is to maintain the capability for mobilization of the Air Force Reserve in the event of a national emergency.
General Morse was born in Ovid, Mich., in 1904. A graduate of Ovid High School, he received a bachelor of arts degree in education from the University of Redlands, Redlands, Calif., in 1928.
Appointed an aviation cadet in October 1928, General Morse received his pilot wings at Kelly Field, Texas a year later. Today he is rated a command pilot.
He served with the 95th Pursuit Squadron at March Field, Calif., until September 1931, when he joined the Seventh Bomb Group there as assistant operations officer. Three years later he went to the Philippines for duty with the Third Pursuit Squadron and in February 1937 he became flight commander of the 94th Pursuit Squadron at Selfridge Field, Mich.
General Morse was named operations officer of the 23rd Composite Group at Maxwell Field, Ala., in September 1939 and in July 1941 he assumed command of the First Pursuit Squadron, 23rd Composite Group at Eglin Field, Fla.
In January 1942 General Morse assumed command of the Proving Ground Group at Eglin Field, Fla., becoming its chief of staff in May 1943 and deputy commander two months later.
In October 1943 General Morse assumed command of the Chinese American Composite Wing in India. Returning to the United States in April 1945, he was named commander of the 28th Flying Training Wing and commander of Craig Field, Ala.
Three months later he assumed command of the 38th Flying Training Wing at Williams Field, Ariz., and in November 1945 he became commanding general of Boca Raton Field, Fla. In September 1946 General Morse assumed command of the 20th Fighter Wing on Guam.
Assigned to Air Force headquarters, Washington, D.C., in May 1948, General Morse was chief of the Armament and Equipment Branch, Requirements Division, in the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations. He became chief of the Technical Requirements Division in August 1949, and chief of Components Division in December 1949.
General Morse transferred to Eglin Air Force Base, Fla., in May 1950. He served in the Air Materiel Armament Test Center as chief of operations and plans, and deputy commander. He became commander of the Armament Testing Division in September 1951. He retained command when this unit was assigned to the Air Research and Development Command on Dec. 26, 1951.
In February 1952 General Morse was named chief of staff of the Crew Training Air Force, Air Training Command at Randolph Air Force Base, Texas.
Transferred to the Caribbean Air Command at Quarry Heights, Canal Zone, on Sept. 23, 1954, General Morse was chief of staff for operations.
He assumed command of the Air Reserve Records Center on Nov. 28, 1956.
DECORATIONS AND MEDALS
Distinguished Flying Cross
Chinese Boatg Medal
Chinese Pilot Badge
Legion of Merit
Presidential Unit Citation
American Defense Service Medal
Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal
American Campaign Medal
European-African-Middle East Campaign Medal
World War II Victory Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Air Force Longevity Service Award with six oak leaf clusters