Chaplain (Brig. Gen.) Cecil R. Richardson is Deputy Chief, Air Force Chaplain Service, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. He assists the Chief of the Chaplain Service in directing and maintaining a trained, equipped and professional chaplain service. This includes more than 2,350 active duty, Guard and Reserve chaplains, enlisted support personnel and civilians. Together they provide opportunities for the free exercise of religion to all Air Force people and their families worldwide. As a member of the Armed Forces Chaplains Board, the chaplain and other members advise the Secretary of Defense and the Joint Chiefs of Staff on religious, ethical and quality-of-life concerns.
Chaplain Richardson was commissioned a chaplain in April 1977. He began his career as Protestant chaplain at Little Rock AFB, Ark., and has twice served as senior Protestant chaplain and wing chaplain. In addition, he has experience as an assignments officer, major command division chief and as Executive Director of the Armed Forces Chaplains Board. He later served as Command Chaplain for both the U.S. Central Command and Air Combat Command. Prior to his current assignment, the general was Director of the USAF Chaplain Service Institute, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1973 Bachelor of Arts degree in biblical studies, Evangel University, Springfield, Mo.
1976 Master of Divinity degree in Hebrew studies, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Deerfield, Ill.
1981 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1988 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1992 Air War College, by seminar
1. April 1977 - June 1980, Protestant chaplain, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
2. June 1980 - July 1981, senior Protestant chaplain, Shemya AFB, Alaska
3. July 1981 - July 1983, Protestant chaplain, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
4. July 1983 - July 1984, Air Staff Training officer, Office of the Chief of Chaplains, Bolling AFB, D.C.
5. July 1984 - June 1986, senior Protestant chaplain, K.I. Sawyer AFB, Mich.
6. June 1986 - June 1988, installation staff chaplain, Iraklion Air Station, Greece
7. June 1988 - July 1991, Chief, Education and Professional Development Division, Office of the Command Chaplain, Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
8. July 1991 - June 1993, senior chaplain, McChord AFB, Wash.
9. June 1993 - August 1995, assignments officer, Office of the Chief of Chaplains, Bolling AFB, D.C.
10. August 1995 - February 1997, Executive Director, Armed Forces Chaplains Board, Office of the Under Secretary of Defense, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
11. February 1997 - June 2000, Command Chaplain, U.S. Central Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
12. July 2000 - June 2003, Command Chaplain, Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
13. July 2003 - April 2004, Director, USAF Chaplain Service Institute, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
14. April 2004 - present, Deputy Chief, Air Force Chaplain Service, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with silver and bronze oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
Air Force Good Conduct Medal
National Defense Service Medal with two bronze stars
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Air Force Overseas Ribbon - Short with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Overseas Ribbon - Long
Air Force Longevity Service Award Ribbon with silver oak leaf cluster
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Captain April 9, 1977
Major Nov. 1, 1984
Lieutenant Colonel Jan. 1, 1990
Colonel Sept. 1, 1995
Brigadier General June 1, 2004