Retired Jan. 1, 1997.
Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force David J. Campanale is adviser to the secretary and chief of staff of the U.S. Air Force on matters concerning welfare, effective utilization and progress of the enlisted members of the Air Force. He is the 11th chief master sergeant appointed to this ultimate noncommissioned officer position.
The chief was born in Worcester, Mass. He graduated from North High School and entered the Air Force in October 1970. He completed technical training as an aircraft maintenance specialist at Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas, in February 1971, and was assigned as a B-52 crew chief in the 2nd Organizational Maintenance Squadron, Barksdale Air Force Base, La. While there, he completed three successive tours at Andersen Air Force Base, Guam, in support of B-52 ARC LIGHT missions in Southeast Asia. Before assuming his current position, he was assigned as the Air Mobility Command senior enlisted adviser at Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
1981 Degree in aircraft maintenance technology, Community College of the Air Force
1984 Associate degree in human resource management, University of New Hampshire
1. October 1970 - December 1970, basic military training, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
2. December 1970 - February 1971, student, technical training, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
3. February 1971 - April 1974, B-52 crew chief, 2nd Organizational Maintenance Squadron, Barksdale Air Force Base, La.
4. April 1974 - August 1978, 305th Field Maintenance Squadron, Grissom Air Force Base, Ind.
5. August 1978 - August 1983, C-130 crew chief; noncommissioned officer in charge, C-130 inspection branch; and maintenance superintendent, 6594th Test Group, Air Force Systems Command, Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii
6. August 1983 - August 1986, FB-111A and KC-135 flight chief and line chief, 509th Organizational Maintenance Squadron; and senior maintenance controller for the deputy commander for maintenance, 509th Bomb Wing, Pease Air Force Base, N.H.
7. August 1986 - May 1989, FB-111A and B-1B systems program manager, Headquarters Strategic Air Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb.
8. May 1989 - February 1992, senior enlisted adviser, 93rd Bomb Wing, Castle Air Force Base, Calif.
9. February 1992 - October 1994, senior enlisted adviser, Military Airlift Command and Air Mobility Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
10. October 1994 - November 1996, chief master sergeant of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Vietnam Service Medal
Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm
Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal
Graduate, U.S. Air Force Senior NCO Academy
Distinguished Graduate and Speech Awards, Pacific Air Forces NCO Leadership School
Commandant's Award and Distinguished Graduate, Military Airlift Command NCO Academy
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force Oct 26, 1994