Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force Gerald R. Murray represents the highest enlisted level of leadership, and as such, provides direction for the enlisted corps and represents their interests, as appropriate, to the American public, and to those in all levels of government. He serves as the personal adviser to the Chief of Staff and the Secretary of the Air Force on all issues regarding the welfare, readiness, morale, and proper utilization and progress of the enlisted force. Chief Murray is the 14th chief master sergeant appointed to the highest noncommissioned officer position.
Chief Murray grew up in Boiling Springs, N.C., and entered the Air Force in October 1977. His background includes various duties in aircraft maintenance, and as a command chief master sergeant at wing, numbered air force and major command levels. His assignments include bases in Florida, South Carolina, Washington and Georgia. The chief also served overseas in Turkey and Japan, and deployed in support of operations Desert Storm and Southern Watch. Before assuming his current position, he served as Command Chief Master Sergeant, Pacific Air Forces, Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii. He was appointed to the position of Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force on July 1, 2002.
1983 Tactical Air Command Noncommissioned Officer Leadership School, Shaw AFB, S.C.
1984 U.S. Air Forces in Europe Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Kapaun Air Station, West Germany
1986 Associate in applied science degree in aircraft systems maintenance technology, Community College of the Air Force
1987 Associate of arts degree in liberal arts, Saint Leo College, Saint Leo, Fla.
1993 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Gunter AFB, Ala.
1. October 1977 - December 1977, trainee, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. December 1977 - February 1978, student, Aircraft Maintenance Technology Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. February 1978 - October 1981, aircraft crew chief, 13th Fighter Squadron, 56th Tactical Fighter Wing, MacDill AFB, Fla.
4. October 1981 - April 1984, aircraft maintenance instructor, 363rd Tactical Fighter Wing, Shaw AFB, S.C.
5. April 1984 - May 1986, senior F-16 Fighting Falcon crew chief, 39th Consolidated Maintenance Squadron, Incirlik Air Base, Turkey
6. May 1986 - July 1992, aircraft production superintendent, 353rd Aircraft Maintenance Unit, 354th Fighter Wing, Myrtle Beach AFB, S.C. (August 1990 March 1991, production superintendent, 354th Wing [Provisional], King Faud International Airport and King Khalid Military City, Saudi Arabia)
7. July 1992 - December 1994, Superintendent, Maintenance Flight, 354th Fighter Squadron, McChord AFB, Wash.
8. December 1994 - April 1996, Maintenance Superintendent, 70th Fighter Squadron, 347th Wing, Moody AFB, Ga. (December 1995 March 1996, Maintenance Superintendent, 70th Fighter Squadron, Al Jaber AB, Kuwait)
9. April 1996 - August 1999, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 347th Wing, Moody AFB, Ga. (November 1997 March 1998, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 347th Wing (Provisional) Sheikh Isa AB, Bahrain)
10. September 1999 - August 2001, Command Chief Master Sergeant, U.S. Forces Japan and 5th Air Force, Yokota AB, Japan
11. August 2001 - June 2002, Command Chief Master Sergeant, Pacific Air Forces, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
12. July 2002 - present, Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
1983 Honor graduate and Communicative Skills Award, Noncommissioned Officer Leadership School
1985 Distinguished graduate, Noncommissioned Officer Academy
1991 Air Force General Lew Allen Trophy
1993 Distinguished graduate, Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Airman April 30, 1978
Airman First Class Oct. 31, 1978
Senior Airman Oct. 1, 1979
Sergeant Oct. 1, 1980
Staff Sergeant July 1, 1981
Technical Sergeant July 1, 1984
Master Sergeant July 1, 1987
Senior Master Sergeant Feb. 1, 1992
Chief Master Sergeant Nov. 1, 1994