Retired July 31, 1990.
Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force James C. Binnicker served as adviser to Secretary of the Air Force Edward C. Aldridge Jr. and Chief of Staff of the Air Force Gen. Larry D. Welch on matters concerning welfare, effective utilization and progress of the enlisted members of the Air Force. He was the ninth chief master sergeant appointed to this ultimate noncommisioned officer position and served from July 1, 1986 to July 31, 1990.
Chief Binnicker was born in Orangeburg, S.C., where he graduated from Aiken High School in 1956. He graduated from the U.S. Air Force Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy in 1973, and the First Sergeant Academy in 1974.
He entered the Air Force in August 1957, and received basic training at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas. His Air Force career has included tours in base and wing operations and as the senior enlisted adviser for 12th Air Force, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces and Headquarters Tactical Command. He also represented the Air Force as senior enlisted adviser on the President's Commission on Military Compensation. In February 1985 Chief Binnicker was selected for the 33-year extended tenure program. He became chief master sergeant of the Air Force in July 1986 and retired in October 1990.
1. August 1957, trainee, Air Force Basic Military Training, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
2. September 1957 - 1963, life support specialist, 96th Air Refueling Squadron, Altus Air Force Base, Okla.
3. 1963 - July 1964, air operations specialist, 816th Strategic Aerospace Division, Altus Air Force Base, Okla.
4. July 1964 - August 1967, noncommissioned officer in charge, wing operations, 1502nd Air Transport Wing (later became 61st Military Airlift Wing), Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii
5. August 1967 - August 1968, noncommissioned officer in charge, base operations, 4th Strategic Aerospace Division, Grand Forks Air Force Base, N.D.
6. August 1968 - September 1969, noncommissioned officer in charge, base operations, 22nd Tactical Air Support Squadron, Binh Thuy Air Base, Republic of Vietnam; and language instructor, Republic of Vietnam Armed Forces Language School, Saigon
7. September 1969 - May 1971, air operations superintendent, 58th Military Airlift Squadron, Robins Air Force Base, Ga.
8. May 1971 - August 1972, noncommissioned officer in charge, wing operations, 374th Tactical Airlift Wing, Ching Chuan Kang Air Base, Taiwan
9. August 1972 - September 1975, operations superintendent, base sergeant major and wing senior enlisted adviser, 4th Tactical Fighter Wing, Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, N.C.
10. September 1975 - October 1977, senior enlisted adviser, 12th Air Force, Bergstrom Air Force Base, Texas
11. October 1977 - April 1978, Air Force enlisted representative and senior enlisted adviser on the President's Commission on Military Compensation
12. April 1978 - June 1978, senior enlisted adviser, 12th Air Force, Bergstrom Air Force Base, Texas
13. June 1978 - Jun 1981, senior enlisted adviser to the commander in chief, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii
14. June 1981 - May 1982, chief, enlisted retention division, Headquarters Manpower and Personnel Center, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
15. May 1982 - May 1985, assistant for chief master sergeant matters, Headquarters Manpower and Personnel Center, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
16. May 1985 - July 1986, senior enlisted adviser to the commander, Headquarters Tactical Air Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
17. July 1986 - July 1990, Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Vietnam Service Medal with three service stars
Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm
Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force Jul 1, 1986