Daniel F. McMillin, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Associate Director of Programs, Deputy Chief of Staff for Plans and Programs, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. He directs the Air Force's $642 billion Future Years Defense Program as part of the Department of Defense's planning, programming and budgeting system.
Mr. McMillin entered federal civil service in 1983 as an auditor with the Defense Contract Audit Agency. From 1984 to 1986, he served as an operations and maintenance budget analyst for Naval Air Systems Command, and then as procurement budget analyst for the Office of the Comptroller of the Navy. For the next five years, Mr. McMillin performed duties as Management Support Director and Executive Director at the Naval Plant Representative Office in Melbourne, Australia. He returned to the Pentagon as a budget analyst for the Defense Business Operations Fund in the Office of the Comptroller of the Navy until 1992.
Prior to his current position, Mr. McMillin served in a variety of positions at the U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill., including Deputy Director for Program Analysis and Financial Management, and Deputy Director for Plans and Policy. He was appointed to the Senior Executive Service in 1997.
1983 Bachelor of Science degree in business, Western Illinois University, Macomb
1991 Professional Military Comptroller School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1992 Master's degree in public financial management, American University, Washington, D.C.
1995 Leadership for a Democratic Society, Federal Executive Institute, Charlottesville, Va.
1998 Department of Defense SES APEX Program, Washington, D.C.
1998 Senior Leader Orientation Course, Washington, D.C.
1998 Office of Personnel Management SES Orientation, Washington, D.C.
1999 National Security Leadership Program, Johns Hopkins and Syracuse universities, Baltimore, Md.
2004 Systems Acquisition Management Course, Defense Acquisition University, Fort Belvoir, Va.
2004 Executive Business Course, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
1. June 1983 - June 1984, auditor, Defense Contract Audit Agency, Alexandria, Va.
2. June 1984 - January 1986, operations and maintenance budget analyst, Naval Air Systems Command, Washington, D.C.
3. January 1986 - July 1986, procurement budget analyst, Office of the Comptroller of the Navy, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
4. July 1986 - July 1991, Management Support Director and Executive Director, Naval Plant Representative Office, Melbourne, Australia
5. July 1991 - November 1992, budget analyst, Defense Business Operations Fund, Office of the Comptroller of the Navy, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
6. November 1992 - August 1997, Technical Director and Deputy Director, Program Analysis and Financial Management, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
7. August 1997 - August 2003, Deputy Director for Plans and Policy, J-5, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
8. August 2003 - present, Associate Director of Programs, Deputy Chief of Staff for Plans and Programs, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND HONORS
1990 Navy Meritorious Civilian Service Award
1994 Air Force nominee, Department of Defense Distinguished Civilian Service Award
1995 Quality Team Performance Award, St. Louis Federal Executive Board
1996 Air Force Meritorious Civilian Service Award
1997 Manager of the Year, St. Louis Federal Executive Board
2003 Joint Distinguished Civilian Service Award, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
2003 Army Military Order of St. Christopher, Honorable
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Senior Executives Association
National Defense Transportation Association
American Society of Military Comptrollers
Association of Government Accountants