Daniel S. Butler, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Executive Director, Air Force Office of Special Investigations, Andrews Air Force Base, Md. He serves as adviser to the AFOSI Commander, oversees the AFOSI Special Investigations Career Program and is responsible for executive-level policy coordination, liaison, and representation to national and international organizations.
Mr. Butler served on active duty with the U.S. Navy from 1981 to 1991 as an intelligence officer. During his 10 years of service, he deployed with F-14 Fighter Squadron 102 aboard the aircraft carrier USS America, served on the staff of the Commander-in-Chief, U.S. Naval Forces Europe, and was a special agent with the Naval Criminal Investigative Service in Spain and Greece. After his release from the Navy in 1991, Mr. Butler served as a Naval Reserve officer assigned to the Joint Military Intelligence College as an adjunct professor, and he retired from the Naval Reserve in 2002.
Mr. Butler worked for seven years at Headquarters NCIS in Washington,D.C., where he was Deputy Assistant Director for Government Liaison and Public Affairs, and executive assistant to the Director and Coordinator of Strategic Planning. He was appointed to the Senior Executive Service in December 2000.
1981 Bachelor of Arts degree in economics, Columbia University
1987 Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, Glynco, Ga.
1993 Master?s degree in public administration, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University
2000 Master of Science degree in strategic intelligence, Joint Military Intelligence College, Defense Intelligence Agency, Washington, D.C.
1. 1981 - 1985, tactical airborne reconnaissance intelligence officer, Fighter Squadron 102, USS America (CV-66)
2. 1985 - 1987, intelligence watch officer and human intelligence requirements officer, U.S. Naval Forces Europe, London, England
3. 1987 - 1990, special agent and counterintelligence officer, Naval Criminal Investigative Service Resident Agency, Rota, Spain
4. 1991, special agent and counterintelligence officer, NCIS Resident Unit, Souda Bay, Greece
5. 1992 - 1993, graduate student, Harvard University
6. 1993 - 1997, Deputy Assistant Director for Government Liaison and Public Affairs, NCIS Headquarters, Washington, D.C
7. 1997 - 2000, executive assistant to the Director and Coordinator of Strategic Planning, NCIS Headquarters, Washington, D.C.
8. 2000 - present, Executive Director, Air Force Office of Special Investigations, Andrews AFB, Md.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal
Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal
Navy Expeditionary Medal
Meritorious Unit Citation
Secretary of Defense Award for Excellence
U.S. Navy Superior Civilian Service Award
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
International Association of Chiefs of Police
Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association
U.S. Naval Institute