Retired June 1, 1997.
General Henry Viccellio Jr. is commander of the Air Force Materiel Command which is headquartered at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. The Air Force Materiel Command researches, develops, tests, acquires and provides logistics support necessary to keep Air Force units and weapon systems in readiness, and to sustain their operations in peace and war. The command manages these systems through 21 specialized centers from their inception on the drawing board to retirement from the inventory.
The general was commissioned following graduation from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1962. He has held a variety of assignments in flying and logistics fields, as well as command positions at the wing, center and Air Staff levels. He is a command pilot with more than 3,300 hours in fighter aircraft, including 235 combat missions in Southeast Asia.
1962 Bachelor of science degree, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1968 Olmsted Scholar, National Autonomous University of Mexico, Mexico City
1969 Master of arts degree in Latin American studies, American University, Washington, D.C.
1973 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1. June 1962 - September 1963, student, pilot training, Webb Air Force Base, Texas
2. October 1963 - June 1964, student, F-100 combat crew training, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.
3. June 1964 - October 1965, F-100 pilot, 309th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Homestead Air Force Base, Fla.
4. October 1965 - October 1966, A-1E pilot, 602nd Fighter Squadron, Udorn Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand
5. October 1966 - October 1968, Olmsted Scholar, National Autonomous University of Mexico, Mexico City
6. October 1968 - June 1969, student, master of arts degree in Latin American studies, American University, Washington, D.C.
7. June 1969 - August 1970, Air Staff Training program, staff officer, directorate of concepts and doctrine, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
8. August 1970 - November 1971, F-4D maintenance officer, 7th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Holloman Air Force Base, N.M.
9. November 1971 - January 1973, F-4D flight commander, 36th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Osan Air Base, South Korea
10. January 1973 - July 1973, student, Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
11. July 1973 - October 1975, liaison officer, U.S. Senate
12. November 1975 - April 1976, chief, standardization and evaluation division, 33rd Tactical Fighter Wing, Eglin Air Force Base, Fla.
13. April 1976 - November 1976, operations officer, 59th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Eglin Air Force Base, Fla.
14. December 1976 - May 1977, commander, 58th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Eglin Air Force Base, Fla.
15. May 1977 - November 1977, assistant deputy commander for operations, 33rd Tactical Fighter Wing, Eglin Air Force Base, Fla.
16. November 1977 - March 1981, chief, rated officer career management branch, Air Force Manpower and Personnel Center, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
17. March 1981 - September 1981, vice commander, 507th Tactical Air Control Wing, Shaw Air Force Base, S.C.
18. October 1981 - March 1983, vice commander, later, commander, 56th Tactical Training Wing, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla.
19. March 1983 - June 1985, commander, 1st Tactical Fighter Wing, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
20. July 1985 - September 1986, vice commander, San Antonio Air Logistics Center, Kelly Air Force Base, Texas
21. September 1986 - April 1989, deputy chief of staff for logistics, Headquarters Tactical Air Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
22. May 1989 - September 1989, vice commander, Headquarters Tactical Air Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
23. September 1989 - February 1991, deputy chief of staff for logistics and engineering, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
24. February 1991 - May 1991, deputy chief of staff for logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
25. May 1991 - December 1992, director, the Joint Staff, Washington, D.C.
26. December 1992 - June 1995, commander, Air Education and Training Command, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
27. June 1995 - present, commander, Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,300
Aircraft flown: F-100, A-1E, F-4D/E, F-16 and F-15
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Distinguished Service Medal
Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Distinguished Flying Cross with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with 11 oak leaf clusters
Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jun 6, 1962
First Lieutenant Dec 6, 1963
Captain Dec 6, 1966
Major Mar 1, 1971
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 1975
Colonel May 1, 1978
Brigadier General Oct 1, 1984
Major General Aug 1, 1987
Lieutenant General May 1, 1989
General Dec 1, 1992