John Barry Hennessey, a member of the Defense Intelligence Senior Executive Service, is Director of Security, Counterintelligence and Special Program Oversight, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C. He is responsible for security and CI policy as well as management oversight of all Air Force Security and Special Access Programs, which includes ensuring the security of various research projects with significant potential impact on the defense capabilities of this country. The goal is to ensure protection of existing and future technological capabilities to the military. Mr. Hennessey is also a panel chair for the Air Force Board for Correction of Military Records.
Mr. Hennessey retired in 1993 after a 29-year active-duty Air Force career as a special agent. In addition to his duties as a special agent, from 1986 to 1993 he also served as Security Director for the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Washington, D.C., with final assignment as Commander of the 7th Field Investigation Region, Air Force Office of Special Investigations. Following his Air Force career, Mr. Hennessey worked for the Defense Advanced Research
Projects Agency as a Security Adviser, and later as Director of the Security and Intelligence Directorate. Prior to his current assignment, he was Program Manager, Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition Technology and Logistics. Mr. Hennessey was appointed to the Senior Executive Service in November 2004.
1964 Bachelor of Science degree in international relations, St. Joseph?s University, Philadelphia, Pa.
1975 Master of Forensic Science degree, The George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
1975 Fellowship in forensic medicine, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, D.C.
1. 1964 ? 1993, special agent, Air Force Office of Special Investigations, Washington, D.C.
2. 1993 ? 1995, Security Adviser to the High Altitude, Long Endurance, Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Office, Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, Arlington, Va.
3. 1996 ? 1997, Security Adviser to the Bosnia Command and Control Augmentation Program, DARPA, Arlington, Va.
3. 1997 ? 2000, Deputy Director, later, Director, Security and Intelligence Directorte, DARPA, Arlington, Va.
4. 2001, Program Manager, Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition Technology and Logistics, Washington, D.C.
5. 2001 ? present, Director of Security, Counterintelligence and Special Program Oversight, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C. (1996 ? 2004, Senior Technical Adviser, Stanford Research Institute International, Rosslyn, Va.)