John G. Vonglis is the acting Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. He is the principal adviser to the Secretary of the Air Force, Chief of Staff and other senior Air Force officials for budgetary and fiscal matters. With nearly 700,000 military and civilian personnel and a budget of more than $124 billion, he serves as the Air Force's chief financial officer responsible for providing the financial management and analytical services necessary for the effective and efficient use of Air Force resources.
Mr. Vonglis, a native New Yorker, has served in a variety of financial positions for numerous corporations. In addition, he was Director of Global Finance for PricewaterhouseCoopers, LLP, where he was primarily responsible for the global financial performance of the management consulting practice. He served as a Chief Financial Officer for Thomson Financial Corporation, and in 2000 was a candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives from the 18th District of New York.
Mr. Vonglis was appointed by New York Governor George Pataki to serve on the Commuter Council of the New York State Metropolitan Transportation Authority, a public policy group addressing common issues of concern to railroad labor, management and commuters. He is also a commissioned officer in the U.S. Army Reserve. Mr. Vonglis has previously worked as a Director and special assistant to the Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness, where he was responsible for management initiatives ? most notably, implementation of the President?s Management Agenda and public diplomacy efforts aimed at promoting the transformational plan of the administration, as well as special programs in support of U.S. efforts in Afghanistan and Iraq. Prior to assuming his current position, he was Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Financial Management.
1983 Bachelor of Science degree in finance and economics, Fordham University, Bronx, N.Y.
1989 Master of Business Administration degree (international finance), Martino Graduate School of Business, Fordham University, New York, N.Y.
2004 Master of International Public Policy degree, School of Advanced International Studies, Johns Hopkins University, Washington, D.C.
1. 1983 ? 1984, financial analyst, Anacomp Incorporated, Fort Lee, N.J.
2. 1984 ? 1987, financial supervisor, Grumman Corporation, Bethpage, N.Y.
3. 1988 ? 1990, intern, First Boston Corporation, New York, N.Y.
4. 1990 ? 1996, senior financial analyst, Amdahl Corporation, New York, N.Y.
5. 1996 ? 1996, Director of Finance, Sybase Incorporated, New York, N.Y.
6. 1996 ? 1999, Director of Global Finance, PricewaterhouseCoopers, LLP, New York, N.Y.
7. 1999 ? 2000, Chief Financial Officer, Thomson Financial Corporation, New York, N.Y.
8. 2001, Principal, Tri-Tech, LLC, New York, N.Y.
9. 2001, active duty, U.S. Special Operations Command, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla.
10. 2002 ? 2004, Director of Management Initiatives for the Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
11. 2004 ? 2005, Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Financial Management, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
12. 2005 ? present, acting Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.