Selected for reassignment as Signals Intelligence Systems Acquisition Financial Management and Comptroller, Office of the Under Secretary of the Air Force, National Reconnaissance Office, Chantilly, Va.
Karen-Sue Dunn, a member of the Defense Intelligence Senior Executive Service, is the Director of Financial Management and Resource Oversight, Deputy Director for Military Support, National Reconnaissance Office, Chantilly, Va. In this capacity, she serves as the chief financial officer, overseeing the planning, programming and budget execution of the Defense Space Reconnaissance Program, part of the Joint Military Intelligence Program, and the Operations Support Program, part of the National Foreign Intelligence Program. She oversees and coordinates business financial management as well as legislative activities, and she provides information systems, logistics and technical services support to the Deputy Director for Military Support and its customers worldwide.
Ms. Dunn, a native of Fort Dix, N.J., began her career in 1975 at the San Antonio Air Logistics Center, Texas. She served in various managerial assignments connected with the C-5 and international logistics support. In 1977, she transferred to Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, where she worked on the NATO Airborne Warning and Control System Program, and budgeting and resources management for tactical fighter systems. Promoted in 1984, she transferred to Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C., as a modification programmer, and then moved to the Office of the Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition in 1988 as the senior acquisition programming and budget analyst. She later became Chief of the Execution and Financial Management Branch, overseeing all Air Force acquisition investment appropriations managed by the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition.
Ms. Dunn began working in the National Reconnaissance Office in 2000 where she was the Chief of the Execution Team responsible for the oversight of the allocation and execution of all NRO appropriations. Prior to her current assignment, she served as Chief of the Space Financial Team in the Directorate of Communications, managing the finances for the directorate?s space communications satellite as well as ground and information security acquisition programs in the Space Program Office. She assumed her current duties in July 2003.
1970 Bachelor of Science degree in history, University of Nebraska, Lincoln
1974 Master of Arts degree in international relations and affairs, University of Denver, Colo.
1998 Master of Science degree in national resource strategy, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. 1975 - 1977, item, production and modification manager, C-5 System Program and Foreign Military Sales offices, San Antonio ALC, Kelly AFB, Texas
2. 1977 - 1980, logistics management specialist and plans officer, International Logistics Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
3. 1980 - 1984, foreign military sales logistics case manager for NATO E-3A Program, later, Chief, Tactical Systems Resources Section, Aerospace Systems Directorate, Headquarters Air Force Logistics Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
4. 1984 - 1988, modification programmer, Modification and Operations and Maintenance Programs Division, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
5. 1988 - 1995, senior acquisition financial programming and budget analyst, Program and Integration Directorate, Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Washington, D.C.
6. 1995 - 1998, Chief, Execution and Financial Management Branch, Program and Integration Directorate, Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition. Washington, D.C.
7. 1998 - 1999, systems acquisition analyst, Office of the Deputy Undersecretary of Defense for Acquisition Reform, Washington, D.C.
8. 1999 - 2000, Chief, Air Force Acquisition Reform Team, Program and Integration Directorate, Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Washington, D.C.
9. 2000 - 2002, Execution Team Chief, Resource Management Division, Resource Operations and Management Directorate, National Reconnaissance Office, Chantilly, Va.
10. 2002 - 2003, Chief, Financial Management, Directorate of Communications, Office of the Director, Financial Management for Space, NRO, Chantilly, Va.
11. 2003 - present, Director of Financial Management and Resource Oversight, Deputy Director for Military Support, NRO, Chantilly, Va.