Ms. Kathryn "Katie" Halvorson, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Director, Air Force Real Property Agency, Arlington, Va. The agency is responsible for acquisition and disposal of Air Force real property worldwide. It is also responsible for executing the environmental programs and real and personal property disposal for U.S. Air Force bases being closed or realigned under the authority of the Base Closure and Realignment Act of 1988 and the Defense Base Closure and Realignment Act of 1990. The agency oversees two regional operating locations in San Antonio, Texas, and Sacramento, Calif. The agency also assists communities in the conversion of closing and realigned bases from military to civilian use, and ensures that property at these Air Force installations is made available for reuse.
Ms. Halvorson entered the Air Force as a services officer in 1974, holding positions in services operations and food service at Malmstrom Air Force Base, Mont., and on the staff at Headquarters Strategic Air Command, Offutt AFB, Neb. She separated from active duty in 1982 and joined the Air Force Reserve, serving as an individual mobilization augmentee services officer at Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Office of the Secretary of Defense and Randolph AFB, Texas. She retired from the Air Force Reserve in December 2002 in the rank of colonel.
Ms. Halvorson began her civil service career in 1983 in the Headquarters USAFE Housing Division as Chief of Major Command Furnishing Management. She then served as an industrial specialist with the Air Force Engineering and Services Agency at Tyndall AFB, Fla. In 1992, she transferred to Headquarters U.S. Air Force as a housing specialist in the Civil Engineering Housing Division, later serving as the division?s Deputy Director. In 2003, Ms. Halvorson was selected as Deputy Director of the Air Force Real Property Agency until her appointment as Director in December 2004.
1974 Bachelor of Arts degree in history, Coe College, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
1977 Master of Science degree in psychology and counseling, Pepperdine University, Malibu, Calif.
1. 1974 ? 1978, services operations officer and food service officer, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
2. 1978 ? 1982, Chief, Major Command Services Division, Headquarters Strategic Air Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
3. 1983 ? 1990, Chief, Major Command Furnishings Management, Housing Division, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein Air Base, West Germany
4. 1990 ? 1992, industrial specialist, Headquarters Air Force Civil Engineering and Services Agency, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
5. 1992 ? 2000, housing management specialist, Civil Engineering Housing Division, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
6. 2000 ? 2003, Deputy Director, Civil Engineering Housing Division, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
7. 2003 ? 2004, Deputy Director, Air Force Real Property Agency, Arlington, Va.
8. 2004 ? present, Director, Air Force Real Property Agency, Arlington, Va.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
1987 IMA Officer of the Year, Reserve Officer Association
1996 Air Force Senior Manager of the Year, Professional Housing Management Association
1999 Meritorious Civilian Service Award
2000 Founder?s Award, PHMA
(Currect as of March 2005)