Kelly F. Craven is Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Force Management and Personnel, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Manpower and Reserve Affairs, Washington, D.C. As the Deputy Assistant Secretary, she directs, guides and oversees policies, plans and programs affecting military members and civilians. The areas she oversees include procurement, training, assignments, career development, personnel utilization, promotions and separations, compensation and entitlements, and manpower management programs and techniques. Family readiness and support, medical readiness, health care, morale, welfare, recreation and services, and quality of life initiatives are also within her purview.
Ms. Craven received her bachelor of arts degree from St. Mary's College in Notre Dame, Ind., where she graduated cum laude in 1983. Early in her career she served as a Political Director for the National Association of Realtors, coordinating political and legislative operations in 13 Southern states. Later, she was Finance Director for the Indiana Republican State Committee in Indianapolis, where she worked with the state party chairman in achieving fundraising goals that included use of a finance committee, events, direct mail, telemarketing and personal solicitation. In 1992, she successfully managed the "Buyer for Congress" campaign in Monticello, Ind., where she coordinated press, finance, paid media, earned media, grassroots operations and administration.
From 1993 to 2000, she served as Chief of Staff for U.S. Rep. Steve Buyer, Chairman of the Military Personnel Subcommittee with the House Armed Services Committee. She managed legislative and administrative operations for the congressman while serving as Chief Political Adviser, to include completing three successful re-election campaigns. She worked with committee staff members and service liaison offices on defense issues. Ms. Craven next served as the National Coalitions Director for Bush-Cheney 2000 in Austin, Texas. She created and developed the National Coalitions Department, coordinating the grassroots and public relations operations.
1983 Bachelor of arts degree, cum laude, St. Mary's College, Notre Dame, Ind.
1. 1987 - 1990, Political Director, National Association of Realtors, Washington, D.C.
2. 1990 - 1992, Finance Director, Indiana Republican State Committee, Indianapolis, Ind.
3. 1992 - 1993, "Buyer for Congress" Campaign Manager, Monticello, Ind.
4. 1993 - 2000, Chief of Staff for U.S. Rep. Steve Buyer, and Chairman, Military Personnel Subcommittee, House Armed Services Committee, Washington, D.C.
5. 2000 - 2001, National Coalitions Director for Bush-Cheney 2000, Austin, Texas
6. 2000 - 2001, Project Director, Bush-Cheney Veterans Transition Advisory Committee, Washington, D.C.
7. 2001 - present, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Force Management and Personnel, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Manpower and Reserve Affairs, Washington, D.C.